Preserve & Transform
A client asked me to redo this piece and gave me creative freedom. This is such a dynamic piece, that it was hard for me to do anything to it.
The top was really the only issue with scratches and dented corners. I believe in up cycling just about everything. So, I took what I had and with a creative, preserved, twist I was able to finish the piece.
First, I cleaned and cleaned, then cleaned some more. Second, removed all drawers and wiped down the dresser with tong oil.
Next came the fun part, I used old sewing patterns and modge podged them on the sides of each drawer as well as the top. After lightly sanding, I sealed with poly.
Finally, the drawer fronts were painted black and I created a subtle “leathery” distressed look. To pull it all together, I added black to the sides of the drawers and top.
Great project and I was happy to preserve the craftsmanship that went into this piece.
Original purchase photo
Testing out my plan
Before and after
Putting it all together
Prototype. Think it’s going to work!
Side view of finished look
All cleaned up