The 7 Best Glass Cleaners for a Streak-Free Shine
By Corrie Pelc
Mirror, mirror, on the wall … what is the best glass cleaner of them all? That’s a pretty hard question to answer since store shelves are packed with lots of options, all promising streak-free, shiny glass surfaces once used.
To help you narrow down the field, we’ve established a list of the best glass cleaners you can buy right now. Here’s a look at what we found.
Best Overall Glass Cleaner: Windex Original Glass CleanerThe original glass cleaner with 85 years of history.
Best Glass Cleaner for Windows: Sprayway World's Best Glass CleanerA glass cleaner that does exactly what its name says it does.
Best Glass Cleaner for Mirrors: Hope's Perfect Glass CleanerA glass cleaner perfect for cleaning mirrors and other glass surfaces without leaving behind any streaks.
Best Cleaner for Glass Cooktops: Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleaner and PolishA glass cooktop cleaner that gets the job done without leaving any scratches behind.
Best Cleaner for Glass Shower Doors: Repel Glass & Surface CleanerA glass cleaner that makes quick work of removing soap scum and water spots on glass shower doors, and then helps keep future ones from appearing.
Best Natural Glass Cleaner: Aunt Fannie’s Glass & Window Cleaning Vinegar WashA plant-based glass cleaner that gets rid of dirt without using any harsh chemicals.
Best Glass Cleaner Wipes: MiracleWipes for GlassA lint-free wipe preloaded with a glass cleaner for quick and easy cleaning.
Test Factors We Considered When Picking the Best Glass Cleaner
Wonder how we selected the products on our list of the best glass cleaners? Here’s a rundown of our test factors:
- Bottle Size: How much glass cleaner does the user get for their money?
- Application: How is the glass cleaner applied — is it a spray? Does it come preloaded in a wipe? Is it a concentrated liquid that has to be diluted?
- What It Cleans: What types of surfaces does this glass cleaner also remove grime from?
- What It Doesn’t Clean: Are there any surfaces this glass cleaner should not be used on?
Here’s a look at our list of the best glass cleaners to buy this year.
Best Overall Glass Cleaner: Windex Original Glass Cleaner
When it comes to glass cleaners, there's a reason why the pioneer of them all — Windex Original Glass Cleaner — is still tops in our book. Introduced back in 1936, Windex has a lot of practice at cleaning all types of glass surfaces, from windows to mirrors, and keeping them streak-free while doing so. Easily applied through its spray bottle, Windex starts removing smudges and grime before you even wipe it down. Just spray and wipe your glass surface clean using a microfiber or other lint-free towel or paper towel. Windex Original Glass Cleaner also kills 99.9 percent of germs and its spray bottle is made 100 percent from recycled plastics.
- Blacked by 85 years of history
- Widely available and inexpensive
- Cleans just about every type of glass surface
- Contains ammonia, which can be irritating to some
Best Glass Cleaner for Windows: Sprayway World's Best Glass Cleaner
For once, a product that is named exactly what it is — Sprayway World's Best Glass Cleaner is just that when it comes to windows. What makes this product unique is that it's a foam rather than a liquid. This means when you spray the foam onto a window via its aerosol can, you have plenty of time to wipe the product down before it runs down the window as a liquid would. This product is ammonia-free, meaning there's no harsh chemical smell — only a pleasant, clean scent left behind. And Sprayway World's Best Glass Cleaner effectively cleans not only windows, but also mirrors and other glass surfaces of fingerprints, lipstick, smoke film, and other types of dirt and dust.
- Foam makes it easy to clean windows without drips
- Ammonia-free formula
- Tough enough to remove fingerprints, lipstick, and smoke film from glass
- None that we can see!
Best Glass Cleaner for Mirrors: Hope's Perfect Glass Cleaner
Hope's Perfect Glass Cleaner is a fast-acting glass cleaner that works wonders on mirrors. Its unique no-ammonia formula leaves no residue or haze behind, so all you see is shine once it's done. And better yet, in a test, this cleaner only required 11 strokes to clean a surface, while competitors required 17-70 strokes. In addition to mirrors, this glass cleaner can also be used on windows, glass tables, and a variety of other glass surfaces. And Hope's Perfect Glass Cleaner is safe for use on tinted and tint-film windows, as well as electronic device screens. (If using on screens, do not spray directly onto the screen, but instead onto a cloth, and then wipe the screen down.)
- Ammonia-free solution
- Leaves behind a streak-free shine
- Can be used to clean electric device screens
- Cannot be sprayed directly onto electric device screens to clean them
Best Cleaner for Glass Cooktops: Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleaner and Polish
If you need some additional assistance removing stubborn burned-on food and grease from the surface of your glass cooktop, then pick up a bottle of Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleaner and Polish. This specially-designed, non-toxic cleaner is simply dispensed by a squirt bottle — just shake well, apply where you need it, and then wipe with a microfiber cloth. While stuck-on food and grease will easily evaporate, this non-abrasive formula means your cooktop will never show your efforts in the form of scratches. Weiman Glass Cooktop Cleaner and Polish can be used on all major glass/ceramic cooktops by leading manufacturers.
- Specially-designed, non-toxic formula
- Can be used on all major glass/ceramic cooktops by leading manufacturers
- Non-abrasive formula removes food and grease without surface scratching
- Would not advise using to clean other glass surfaces
Best Cleaner for Glass Shower Doors: Repel Glass & Surface Cleaner
Clean the glass doors of your shower and stop new soap scum from building up with Repel Glass & Surface Cleaner. Repel's special non-toxic cleaning solution rapidly cuts through and removes soap scum and mineral stains from glass shower doors, as well as water spots, oil, fingerprints, and smudges from a variety of other glass surfaces. And using the solution on a glass surface adds a layer of protection to the glass to help keep soap scum, water spots, and other grime from re-clinging to the glass. Repel Glass & Surface Cleaner comes in a 25-ounce spray bottle and can also be used on non-glass surfaces like chrome fixtures, porcelain, ceramic, and fiberglass.
- Removes soap scum, water spots, and mineral stains from glass shower doors
- Helps keep grime from reappearing
- Can be used on a wide variety of non-glass materials
- Bit expensive for a glass cleaner
Best Natural Glass Cleaner: Aunt Fannie’s Glass & Window Cleaning Vinegar Wash
If you like the idea of using a glass cleaner free of harsh chemicals, then Aunt Fannie’s Glass & Window Cleaning Vinegar Wash is for you. This glass cleaner uses distilled white vinegar, plant-based ingredients, and essential oils for a cleaner that effectively removes smudges, rain spots, and fingerprints from all glass surfaces without leaving any streaks behind. The formula is so clean that it's dermatologist-tested to be safe for the entire family, and it was awarded the highest health and safety rating for cleaning products by the Environmental Working Group (EWG). Aunt Fannie’s Glass & Window Cleaning Vinegar Wash is also Leaping Bunny-approved, which means it does not test on animals.
- Natural, plant-based formula free of harsh chemicals
- Awarded health and safety rating from EWG
- Leaping Bunny-approved
- Bit expensive for a glass cleaner
Best Glass Cleaner Wipes: MiracleWipes for Glass
Sometimes you just need a quick, easy, and portable way to clean a glass item, especially if you’re in a pinch. That's where MiracleWipes for Glass comes in. This canister features 30 disposable wipes preloaded with a glass cleaning solution perfect for removing dirt from windows, mirrors, stovetops, and more. And because there's no worry of spilling with a wipe, you can also keep a set of these in your car to speedily clean car windows and mirrors. Each wipe leaves a streak-free, crystal-clear shine behind. And the MiracleWipes for Glass wipes are all lint-free and leave behind a fresh, light scent after using.
- Glass cleaner in the convenience of a disposable wipe
- Lint-free wipes leave a crystal-clear shine behind
- Spillproof and perfect for leaving in the car for windows and mirror touch-ups
- Bit expensive
- Disposable wipes create more waste
General Glass Cleaning and Care Tips
Now that you know the best glass cleaners to use, here are some general tips on cleaning and caring for glass surfaces:
- Clean Top to Bottom: Because most glass cleaners are liquid, gravity is your best friend when cleaning vertical glass surfaces like windows and showers. Spray the cleaner at the top of the glass and let it drip towards the bottom. Then, use a microfiber towel to wipe the solution from the top, and work your way down to ensure drips at the bottom are removed.
- Use the Right Cloth: When cleaning your glass surfaces, make sure you're using a cloth that will not leave any lint behind. There's nothing worse than spending your time cleaning glass only to look back and see little lint particles everywhere. Microfiber cloths are your best bet when cleaning glass.
- Don't Clean Windows on Sunny Days: Even though you might think sunny days are the best way to see all the dirt and grime on a window, it actually causes your glass cleaner to dry too fast, leaving behind residue you don't want. Instead, wait for an overcast day to clean your windows so the cleaning solution stays wet longer, giving you more time to wipe and buff it and the dirt it collects away.
Do you have a favorite cleaner that keeps your mirrors, windows, and other glass surfaces perfectly shiny? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?