The 6 Best Glue Guns for Your Next Craft Project
By Corrie Pelc
A glue gun is one of those tools that you never really think you need until you buy it. Then when you start using it, you realize ALL the projects it's perfect for.
Helping your son with his science project? Get the glue gun. Need to affix sequins that fell off your dress? Get the glue gun. Fixing that piece of fabric sticking up from your headboard? Get the glue gun.
From no-sew fabric projects to crafts to fixing objects around the house, you'll get a lot of mileage out of a glue gun. Want to know the best glue gun you can buy right now? Keep on reading to find out!
Best Low-Temperature Glue Gun: AdTech Ultra Low-Temp Cool ToolA highly-rated low-temperature hot glue gun that only uses 6 volts of energy.
Best High-Temperature Glue Gun: Cobiz High Temp Hot Glue GunA best-selling high-temperature glue gun with two wattage options for lots of versatility.
Best Dual-Temperature Glue Gun: Gorilla 8401508 Mini Dual Temp Glue GunGet two tools in one with this economically-priced dual-temperature hot glue gun.
Best Cheap Glue Gun: Surebonder GM-160 Mini High-Temperature Glue GunA high-temperature hot glue gun that costs less than some fancy coffee drinks.
Best Cordless Glue Gun: Ryobi P305 One+ 18V Lithium Ion Cordless Hot Glue GunA top-selling cordless high-temperature glue gun that can operate for up to 3.5 hours on a single battery charge.
Best Glue Gun for Kids: NEX&CO Kids Mini Hot Glue GunA low-temperature hot glue gun designed with kids’ safety and fun in mind.
How to Buy a Glue Gun
There’s more to the makeup of a hot glue gun than you might think. Here are some important things to keep in mind when buying a hot glue gun:
Low or High Temperature: For crafters, there are three main types of hot glue guns you'll be selecting from:
- High-temperature glue guns melt glue sticks at about 380 degrees Fahrenheit. These glue guns are the best for projects where you need to bond heavier materials together, like wood or plastic. They are not the best pick for work on delicate fabrics and materials that might be burned by such a high temperature.
- Low-temperature glue guns melt glue sticks at around 250 degrees F. They are a great option for overall craft projects and can be used with lighter, delicate materials such as fabric and paper. They're also a better option for kids as they are safer to use.
- Dual temperature glue guns are the best of both worlds. You can switch the temperature at which the glue stick melts to cater to your project.
Wattage: Glue guns come at different wattage levels for melting the glue stick. In general, the higher the wattage, the faster the glue gun will heat up and melt the glue stick. Also, higher wattage means the glue stick will stay hotter for a longer period of time. Low-temperature hot glue guns generally have a wattage of between 10 to 20 watts. High-temperature glue guns range from 20 to 100 watts.
Glue Stick Size: A glue gun needs to be fed a glue stick to melt. Glue sticks range in size from smaller sticks of about a 7-millimeter diameter to thicker sticks of up to 15 millimeters in diameter. Make sure you buy the right size glue stick size for the hot glue gun you select.
Test Factors We Considered When Picking the Best Glue Guns
Let’s take a look at the test factors we used in determining our list of the best glue guns:
- Temperature Level: What temperature level does this hot glue gun use — low, hot, or dual?
- Wattage: What wattage does this hot glue gun use to melt a glue stick?
- Power: Where does this glue gun get its power — is it corded and plugged into a wall outlet or cordless and powered via battery?
- Glue Stick Size: What size glue sticks does this glue gun use?
- Weight: How much does this glue gun weigh?
- Accessories: Does this hot glue gun come with any extra accessories, like a stand or a case?
Here’s a look at our list of the best hot glue guns you can buy right now.
Best Low-Temperature Glue Gun: AdTech Ultra Low-Temp Cool Tool
With almost 2,800 ratings and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon, we are not the only fans of the AdTech Ultra Low-Temp Cool Tool. Our pick for the best low-temp glue gun, this corded device only uses 6 volts of energy to melt the mini glue sticks it works with. That allows this gun to melt glue sticks 75 degrees cooler than standard glue guns, making it a great and safe option for everyone, including kids. It also only weighs 9 grams, so it's extremely portable and easy to use. The AdTech Ultra Low-Temp Cool Tool comes with 10 glue sticks and can be used on the most delicate of materials, including scrapbook paper and fabrics.
- Very inexpensive
- Runs 75 degrees cooler than standard hot glue guns
- Can be used on delicate materials, including scrapbook paper and fabrics
- Only works with mini 0.28-inch diameter glue sticks
Best High-Temperature Glue Gun: Cobiz High Temp Hot Glue Gun
For more heavy-duty projects, the top-selling Cobiz High Temp Hot Glue Gun is tops in our book. This high-temperature hot glue gun boasts almost 4,400 ratings and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Weighing only about 1 pound, this lightweight hot glue gun preheats in under three minutes. It's actually a dual-temperature glue gun as it offers both 60 and 100-watt high-temperature options. The 60-watt temperature melts the glue stick for a thinner stream, excellent for fine handwork like gluing beads, and the 100-watt option provides a stronger bond for wood projects. The Cobiz High Temp Hot Glue Gun uses 7/16 x 8 inch-diameter glue sticks, has an attached metal stand, and is backed by a three-year warranty.
- Highly rated on Amazon
- Features two different high-temperature wattages
- 3-year warranty
- Bit expensive compared to other glue guns on our list
Best Dual-Temperature Glue Gun: Gorilla 8401508 Mini Dual Temp Glue Gun
Weighing only 6.7 ounces, the Gorilla 8401508 Mini Dual Temp Glue Gun may be very lightweight, but it's also very hardworking. This dual-temperature hot glue gun is both a low- and high-temperature glue gun in one package. The low-temperature setting works great for bonding delicate materials such as fabrics, flowers, and jewelry. And the high-temperature option provides stronger bonding for wood, metal, plastic, and glass. The hot glue gun's easy-squeeze trigger makes it easy to get the correct stream of glue you need, while the long insulated nozzle helps with precise application. The Gorilla 8401508 Mini Dual Temp Glue Gun comes with a built-in stand for when it's not in use and uses mini-sized glue sticks.
- Under $10
- Both a low- and high-temperature glue gun in one tool
- Long insulated nozzle helps with precise application
- Only uses mini-sized glue sticks
Best Cheap Glue Gun: Surebonder GM-160 Mini High-Temperature Glue Gun
For less than the price of some high-end coffee drinks, the Surebonder GM-160 Mini Glue Gun is a great high-temperature hot glue gun for those who don't want to spend a lot of money on a glue gun. This hot glue gun uses glue sticks that are 5/6-inch in diameter and either 4 or 10 inches in length. Glue sticks are fed into the gun by inserting the stick into the chamber and pulling the trigger to advance the glue. Weighing only 5 ounces, the Surebonder GM-160 Mini High-Temperature Glue Gun is extremely lightweight for portability and ease of use.
- Costs only about $5
- Extremely lightweight
- Uses 5/6-inch diameter glue sticks of either a 4- or 10-inch length
- Uses smaller-diameter glue sticks
Best Cordless Glue Gun: Ryobi P305 One+ 18V Lithium Ion Cordless Hot Glue Gun
For DIYers who like the idea of a non-corded hot glue gun you can take anywhere around your house, the Ryobi P305 One+ 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Hot Glue Gun is for you. This Amazon best-seller has over 3,750 ratings and 4.7 out of 5 stars. This hot glue gun is designed to work with Ryobi's 18V lithium ion and NiCad rechargeable batteries — at a full charge, the battery provides up to 3.5 hours of straight use. Working at 60 watts, this high-temperature hot glue gun uses glue sticks up to 11 millimeters in diameter. Its trigger can support two fingers instead of one, giving the user a bit more control over the glue stream. And the Ryobi P305 One+ 18V Lithium Ion Cordless Hot Glue Gun has an LED indicator light that lets you know whether the gun is active or not to help prevent burns.
- Cordless hot glue gun runs for up to 3.5 hours on a single battery charge
- Trigger supports two fingers for more control over the glue stream
- LED indicator light helps prevent burns
- Expensive compared to other hot glue guns on our list
- Battery sold separately
Best Glue Gun for Kids: NEX&CO Kids Mini Hot Glue Gun
Younger crafters need a hot glue gun that is safe for them to use, too! The NEX&CO Kids Mini Hot Glue Gun is designed especially for kids. This low-temperature glue gun only operates at 10 watts and comes with a variety of safety features, including an on/off switch, LED light indicator, no-drip nozzle, and comfortable grip. It also has three breathable silicone finger caps to help prevent any burns to little fingers and surfaces. The NEX&CO Kids Mini Hot Glue Gun uses 7-millimeter glue sticks and comes with a 60-pack of glitter glue sticks in a rainbow of colors to get them started.
- Designed for young crafters
- Silicone finger caps help protect from burns
- Comes with a 60-pack of glitter glue sticks in a rainbow of colors
- None that we can see!
Do you have a glue gun that you’re stuck on? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Enjoyed the project?
Join the conversation
Mona Blake on Mar 08, 2022
I have the Black and Decker hot glue gun. Battery operated. Shuts of right away, no drip and interchangeable battery if needed. 20 watt. It is NOT for kids, but works great! I have had it for 18 years.
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?