Pressure treated wood- Can I use these in the house?

I have a ton of short pieces of pressure treated wood that came off a deck skirting.
I have a bare wall behind my gas stove/fireplace. Can I use these in the house?

q pressure treated wood
  9 answers
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 06, 2017
    Check with the jurisdiction you live in. When the wood stove was installed, it had to pass rules / code. There are specifics as to how far from flammable surfaces, what the walls must be made of etc. If you violate those rules, and add something (flammable) (and don't have it re-inspected) if there is a fire, you home owners may not cover it.

  • 27524803 27524803 on Dec 06, 2017
    You could use the wood in the house... but I would not want to and especially behind the wood stove... fire issues etc.... also... pressure treated wood is treated with pesticides against termites etc... and the heat from the wood stove may cause fumes or gasses from the pressure treating process to be released into your home environment which they might do anyway in the enclosed area.

  • Mogie Mogie on Dec 06, 2017
    I wouldn't use pressure treated wood inside the house.

  • Amanda Amanda on Dec 06, 2017
    Hi Kelly. I wouldn't use it in the house. It is full of chemicals that you wouldn't want to breath in.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 06, 2017
    If you don't know how it was treated you shouldn't use it in the house. It could cause health problems by releasing the chemicals in the air. Some are treated with arsenic that the warmth could release. You should be able to find outdoor uses for the wood left over.

  • Janet Janet on Dec 08, 2017
    Yes it definitely has chemicals in it don't use it inside.

  • O.shag O.shag on Dec 09, 2017
    First you need to find out if you're even allowed by code or your house insurance to put it behind your wood stove. Then you need to find out how your wood was treated, how old is it?Pressure treated wood is now treated with less harmful chemicals than it used to be. If it's newer then using it on a wall isn't harmful. Just don't use it as countertop or cutting board or any place food may touch!

  • Bev Bev on Dec 09, 2017
    TTTHAT is a big NO, the chemicals they treat the wood with is toxic and will leach into you air inside the home.

  • Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Jan 01, 2018
    it really depends how old your treated wood is? Treated wood today isn’t treated with the same toxic chemicals it use to be! In fact I used new treated wood in my vegetable garden bens I made over 7 years ago after doing a lot of reasearch finding out what chemicals are used in treated lumber today! Been eating plants out of these vegetables bens for over 7 years and hasn’t killed us yet! LOL
    Unfortunately too many people are still going on the basis that treated lumber is still treated the same way it was 50-60 years ago or more and it’s simply not treated near the same any more. Mainly due to stricter laws as the government has made with paints and stains on down the line! There’s a lot of misinformation on the internet about treated wood! You need to go to a expert in treating boards to learn the truth. Since I’m a contractor and buy directly from the mills it wasn’t as hard for me to find the right informatio! Their not putting any toxic chemicals in any treated material now and if it does it has to be clearly marked as to being dangerous to your health when you buy new materials! As with particle board or chip board will be clearly marked that it has cancer producing chemicals that may be hazardous to your health now when I buy this material! foformaldehyde rmaldehyde is also a huge problem and many homes have all kinds of it in their new homes. Homes will even have warnings now to keep your home temps formaldehyde from leeching into your home! I’d worry about that more then I would a treated board being in my house!