6 Known Health Risks From Indoor Mold Exposure

Wet & Forget
by Wet & Forget
Easy
No one likes mold in their home. It looks disgusting, smells musty, and can even destroy some of the surfaces it grows on. But mold is more than just a mess—too much mold exposure can even threaten your health.
Risk 1: Allergies


Mold is one of the most common allergies, and indoor mold is a big problem for people who suffer from a mold allergy. You spend many hours every day breathing the atmosphere inside of your home, and a person with a mold allergy whose home has a lot of circulating mold spores is likely to suffer from symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, and scratchy throat, every day.
Risk 2: Asthma


Asthma is a condition that causes inflammation and constriction in the lungs, which leads to wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing. Asthma’s severity can range from relatively minor to life-threatening.


(Photo by: Vnujo)
Risk 3: Respiratory Infection


Some people who are exposed to high levels of indoor mold can develop pneumonia-like respiratory infections. Those most at risk for these infections are people with weaker immune systems, such as the very old or very young, or people with health problems that compromise their immune systems, such as organ transplant recipients.


(Photo by: Rbrausse)
Risk 4: Toxic Effects


Certain types of mold produce poisonous substances called mycotoxins. One mold that produces mycotoxins is the black-green mold Stachybotrys chartarum, which often grows in homes. Many families have reported illnesses related to mycotoxins, but the scientific community hasn’t come to an agreement yet on whether or not people can breathe in these mycotoxins in large enough doses to actually produce illness.
The Solution: Keep your Mold Exposure to a Minimum


It’s impossible to completely eliminate mold from your home, but eliminating any mold you see will help you keep airborne mold spores at a safe level. Here are some ways to keep mold levels down:


-Eliminate mold growth anywhere you see it, such as in the basement.


-If you smell a musty odor but don’t know where it’s coming from, follow your nose to the source. You could have hidden mold growth.


-Dry out any damp areas that invite mold growth, such as a wet basement.


-Don’t over-water plants; this encourages mold growth on top of the soil, and can even attract gnats.


-If you’re allergic to mold, check out these tips for beating indoor allergies.
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
  1 question
Comments
Join the conversation
 1 comment
  • Carmen Carmen on Mar 06, 2015
    Sometimes mold is not visible. I've an ultra sensitive sense of smell and suspected mold was the problem in our living room - specifically the fireplace in our fixer upper. An air quality test revealed 62 raw count of Aspergillus. FP is not up to code and unusable. We cannot afford to replace it, or even totally eliminate it, or professionally encase it,. After researching we attempted to encase DIY. We have removed the FP flute cleaned the inside of the chimney, sealed off with an encased chase cap, removed the rusted damper, sealed the opening with a metal sheet, covered that over with wood, caulked every possible opening, painted with mold killing primer, Will test again after 1 month. If the Aspergillus count remains high, we must sell (with disclosure of the FP problem) because I am highly allergic to mold, and have several medical conditions that make this dangerous for me. More articles like this are needed. Also information about testing for visible mold as well as air quality as part of the home inspection. Wish we had.

Next