How do I test my house to see if it's making me sick?


i Have lived here for thirty years and my house was built in 1956. I was wondering about mold or something else. I have had a cough for the last 7-3/4 years. Thanks for your help

  6 answers
  • MEG MEG on Jan 27, 2019

    That's not good. Have you been to a doctor for a diagnosis? Maybe you have a foundation leak under your floors that you are not aware of? Do you have carpeting? Maybe call in a Professional Leak Detector company and they will be able to check for leaks. Do you see have signs of leaks inside or outside? Do you see any mold anywhere? My neighbor was selling his house and lived there 30 yrs. Wasn't until buyer ordered a home inspection that he discovered he had foundation leaks in all the bedrooms that he wasn't aware of. He had carpeting so it was hidden. When they pulled up the carpeting thats when they saw the foundation cracks and leaks. Please don't wait any longer. A lingering cough for seven years is serious. Please do something about this asap.

  • That very well be at least a contributing factor. What does your doctor say? Or does he or she just slap a band aid on it and walk away? A persistent cough can be one of the underlying symptoms of an undetected heart problem too.

    My vote is for calling in mold remediation specialists and they in turn will also test the air in your home or recommend a company to do so.

  • Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Jan 28, 2019

    In almost every major town, you can find an energy assistance program. They have a thing called Energy Audits (or possibly it's through the power company). They come out and do testings for your home that can catch bad things about it and depending on your income, have programs to fix them at no cost or low cost. All the above suggestions are good. Please get on the phone and find out what can be done. Don't just hope. Your lungs will give out before hope does.

  • Deb K Deb K on Sep 13, 2021

    Hi Carol, chances are that you have asbestos in your house, there are companies that can come out and assess and remediate if there is a problem. In the meantime you should see you doctor and explain what you think is happening

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Oct 28, 2021

    I would call a home inspector. My brother is a home inspector and one thing that he is getting requested for almost every home now is Radon testing besides the normal mold and water testing.

  • Gina Hanson Gina Hanson on Oct 30, 2021

    I was on Lisinopril for high blood pressure and my doctor said to let her know if I got a cough. I certainly did! Just a nagging, tickle every night but enough that it was hard to sleep. She took me off it and it went away in about a week. That is one of the first HBP meds they put you on. I wouldn't have made the connection unless she had warned me about it. So, I would for sure talk with a doctor.