Easy DIY Homemade Gift Boxes
These DIY gift boxes are great! I have made a few of these with and without the kids on several occasions. You can make these DIY gift boxes as easy/basic or as very detailed as you want.
We used this same method of box decorating for the kids’ school Valentine’s Day boxes. So, these homemade decorated boxes can be used for many purposes.
See more great DIY ideas from ChaChingQueen.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to give a heartfelt gift. Since everyone can use organization tools and supplies, these boxes are a great gift idea.
You can fill these boxes with goodies and use your homemade box as a gift box. The basics that you need are a plain box, some paints, and Mod Podge. For more fun and details, collect some decorations such as photos, stencils, tissue paper, pressed flowers, ticket stubs, etc., just like we did for the decorated flower pots. DIY Gift Ideas – Personalized
Decorated Boxes for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Valentine’s Day, and more All you need is a plain box, some paints, and Modge Podge (Amazon). How to make a decorated gift box
1. Gather Your Supplies
- Plain box – I prefer wood/cardboard, but you could try some other materials. Michael’s and Hobby Lobby have a good assortment.
- Acrylic paints
- paint brushes
- decorations such as photos, stencils, tissue paper, pressed flowers, ticket stubs, etc.
- Modge Podge
2. Paint your box with acrylic paints and add decorations using Modge Podge as an adherent. Get creative. Find sentimental photos, ticket stubs, flowers from the yard – anything that would be meaningful to the recipient.
3. Once your box is decorated coat it with Modge Podge to seal.
4. Let it dry. It’s that easy. Then, you can fill your box with all kinds of goodies such as snacks, gadgets, gift cards, and more.
Use a plain box. I prefer wood/cardboard, but you could try some other materials. Michael’s and Hobby Lobby have a good assortment.
This is a plain box that I use to decorate. This one cost $4.79.
Paint your box with the acrylic paints and add decorations using Mod Podge as an adherent. Get creative. Find sentimental photos, ticket stubs, flowers from the yard – anything that would be meaningful to the recipient.
Examples of finished products Here are some examples of creations I have given my husband over the years. He’s a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan so I made a Steeler’s gift box for him.
This box was part of an anniversary present.
Enjoyed the project?
- Mod podge
- Plain box
- Acrylic paints
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?