Easy Stained Coasters!
Are you a fan of fun, funky, easy décor crafts!? Then you are going to love these easy to make "Stained" Coasters! Using old bathroom tiles (the cheapies that are under a dollar at your local home store), some markers and rubbing alcohol, you can make some pretty unique coasters - great for matching decor, gifts, or parties!
Tie Dye Coasters Tutorial Materials:
• 4 White Ceramic Tiles 4″x4″
• Permanent Markers in assorted colors
• Rubbing Alcohol
• Mod Podge
• Foam Paint Brush
• Lay down some cardboard, newspaper or other protective material on your work surface.
• Make sure your tiles are clean by rubbing them down with alcohol.
• Let it dry before continuing.
• Using various permanent markers, color your tile with whatever design you want. The colors will eventually all run together, so keep that in mind when designing.
• Use a pipette to drip rubbing alcohol over the tiles. You can use just a few drops, or completely cover the surface in alcohol. Just make sure that you do not apply so much rubbing alcohol that all the color runs off.
• Allow your tiles to dry completely.
• When the tiles are dry, soak your foam brush in mod podge and gently spread it across the top of the tile. Note: be careful not to press too hard.
• Allow the Mod Podge to dry completely.
• Once the tiles are dry, to prevent scratches on your furniture surfaces, apply a backing to the bottom of the tile.
• To keep the coasters looking similar, choose similar colors on every tile, even though the patterns will come out differently – unless you decide you would like your tiles to be closer in style, then try and follow the same pattern on each tile.
• This coaster craft is an easy, fun craft to make. For complete details, click the link to my blog post (below):
Enjoyed the project?
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Published July 19th, 2017 5:37 PM
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
Join the conversation
Evelyn Schaedel on Jul 20, 2017Such a fun idea!
- See 2 previous
Ann's Entitled Life on Jul 20, 2017Thanks, Evelyn!
Ann's Entitled Life on Jul 21, 2017Thank you!
Jeanne Martin on May 07, 2019
I love these and so will my adult "boho" daughter when I gift them to her! This is so much cheaper than buying alcohol inks cuz I have a ton of markers. I might even try blowing on the alcohol to get a different effect. Thanks!
Ann's Entitled Life on May 07, 2019
Thank you, Jeanne!
Which mode podge do you use.?
How well do they hold up with the moisture from the glass?