Epoxy and Flowers Lamp
A somewhat happy accident made us create this magnificent epoxy and flowers lamp.
The finished product
A little background story:One sunny Saturday, we invited some friends over for brunch. Accidentally, they left the balcony door open, and the neighbour's kitten came to see, with her paws, our new plants. Flowers and dirt was laying around everywhere. The cat was so cute, I couldn't be furious. I collected everything, desperate to save it.
The same day, the lighting system that we installed in the living room had stopped working.I felt terrible, but my husband saw an opportunity...
In our "fancy" clothes, my husband fixed the table to be ready for action. In a small round container, we placed some of the broken leaves and flowers and covered it up with epoxy. We set it to cure in the balcony, for 24 hours.
Usually, when working with epoxy, after pouring, you have to use a lighter to pop all the air bubbles. As the container was filled with flowers, some air bubbles were left inside.
After it cured completely, we placed it on top of the broken lamps in the living room, and a new lamp came to life!
We showed it to our friends, posted it on Instagram, and orders started to come in! Here's how we made our original lamps-
We purchased a block of pinewood 4" by 10",
We cut it into 4" by 4" squares and marked the centre of it. In the middle, we drilled a hole using an electric drill.
We trimmed the edges using a Makita trimmer and enlarged the drilled hole for the base of the lamp to be. This part had to be super accurate in order of the art to be sitting in the middle. To do so, we trimmed it by steps.
Using a Dremel, we smoothen the trimmed edges,
We drilled another hole on the side, for the power button to be placed. This step had to be done with caution. We set the base of the lamp inside and marked where the button should be. Then, we rotated it by 90 degrees, using clamps we drilled the hole. It had to be in a specific height, and the clamps had to be pressuring it enough to drill but not too much so it would break.For that specific reason, we chose pine wood. It is a soft-wood, easy to drill holes in, and easy to glue back if you make mistakes. Luckily for us, it went smoothly.
We sanded the base and placed the flowers and epoxy art on top, to check it.Some orders asked for a hexagon base, but I must say that I like it the square most.
In the shop, we placed just the base in the laser cut machine, and engraved our hashtag on the side, as a stamp of brand.
Then, we cleaned it using air pressure and a semi-wet towel.After it was clean and dry, we covered it all in a thin layer of epoxy using a sponge brush. To seal the wood from future damage and to glue the work-art on top.
We added the lamp on the bottom and glued it in, using white glue. We made sure that it was easy to replace the batteries if needed. We set it to cure for 24 hours.The day that we added this layer was a cloudy day with no sun. I wasn't sure if it would cure adequately, so I left it to cure for 48 hours instead. Ambient temperature has an impact on the curing phase.
The following day we tested the lamps outside, to see if it works as we wanted it to. It totally did!Then, it was done!
Our new light in the living room,
An order with a note,
... And we gifted one to our neighbour.Without his cat, none of this would have happened.
Resources for this project:See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Published January 11th, 2020 8:00 PM
4 of 35 comments