Rustic Steampunk Night Lamps
I love this idea I found on the internet and I wanted to make something like this for our country cabin to put in the master bedroom instead of regular lamps.
Inspiration piece. But I was also inspired by the steampunk creations by Anita I decided to use two old saw blades for the "wheel" part.
This is one of her "steampunk" creations.
Here is a link to other ones: [url=https://www.hometalk.com/diy/craft/holiday-crafts/steampunk-hat-made-from-recycled-materials-44332187
I decided to use two old saw blades for the "wheel" part. I painted the back sides with black chalk paint.
The visible part, I glued little gears and things with E600 glue. When it was all dry, I painted all with the black chalk paint.
Making sure you get paint inside the gears really well.
After it was all dry, I used a dry sponge to lightly apply copper paint to the raised surface areas.
I also added a touch of turquoise to some areas here and there.
I went to Home Depot and bought two grill lamp protectors and ordered the cables in Amazon.
Next step was to cut two round pieces of wood and drill a hole in the center.
It needed to be smaller than the blade because it is where the cable would rest on.
I looked for two pieces of wood in the garage and found this live edge cedar piece.
We cut it to get two 15" lengths.
Then, I sanded it and applied some cedar stain.
The most challenging part was to figure out how to hold the blades to the wood piece. We ended up using two metal pieces we had (not sure what they are used for) and bent them like a square U. My husband grinded the edges smooth and perforated a large hole on both sides.
I screwed the metal to the wood piece and then using a nut and bolt, attached the blades and round wood to the metal.
Now, all I needed was the cables which were still on order.
One thing I had to do after it was all assembled and I turned the light on, was to make a shade to cover the bulb (it was too strong on the eyes). I tried using a frosted paper but it was too difficult to attach.
Next, I used burlap, and that worked out better. I do not have a picture of me cutting and gluing (sorry).
Here it is done. There is one more thing I am not showing here because, well.. I forgot to take pictures. My husband used the router to create an area for the cable to hide behind the wood piece. The original idea was to thread the cable through the hole on top and push it behind the beadboard wall which was going to be too difficult.
He used a nail gun to attach to the wall.
Here is a close up picture of the burlap. Not too pretty but at least you can't see the bulb.
Now, we need to make a headboard, a bed frame (mattress is on the floor ) and a second nightstand.