Asked on Dec 21, 2016

TIP: Dealing With Insurance Companies

Les and Gina
by Les and Gina
Yesterday Les and I had to help his sister Laurie when her pipes froze and busted causing damage to the underside of her mobile home. Les got the pipe fixed but when Laurie called her insurance company to report it she got the big run around. That really got her even more stressed out so Les toke the phone and talked the the insurance guy and told him he want Service Master to come out and mitigated the floors the insurance guy knew Les knew what he was talking about and called Service Master. Service Master called Laurie and Laurie put Les on the phone and arrange to have them come out the next morning to blow heat and air under the trailer to dry out her floors before mold set in. Also Service Master said they could repair the damage as well and if the pipe wasn't fixed they would fix that as well. Just remember if the insurance people tell you to find your own contractor DON'T listen they are just being lazy they have to send someone out to MITIGATE and use that word if the person don't know what your talking about demand to talk to a supervisor!!!!!
q dealing with insurance companies
  14 answers
  • Susan Smith Susan Smith on Dec 21, 2016
    Insurance companies cannot pick your contractor.

    • Les and Gina Les and Gina on Dec 21, 2016
      No but they can mitigate a company to come to your home and start thr process

  • Ski13871806 Ski13871806 on Dec 21, 2016
    When I get the royal run around, I always ask for the supervisor! If it is someone overseas like INDIA, I ask to speak to someone ONSHORE, MEANING TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE IN THE USA! They may hang up on you but just call back and be your Bitchy self but in a nice confident way. It has worked for me. I know the US company does not want a bunch of complaints about their INDIA company customer service!

  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Dec 21, 2016
    Next time you have problems with insurance companies. Tell them you will call the Bureau of Insurance. They decide if the company deserves to be in business. Too many complaints and the company or office can lose their license. That bit of info given to me by an auditor for a title insurance company. Sure helped when a state owned vehicle rear ended our van while at a red light.

  • Jennifer Jennifer on Dec 21, 2016
    I work for an insurance company, yes we can recommend who we feel we have had the most positive feed back from, but you can still choose your restoration company. Also going through insurance companies that are only call centers do not care....get a local agent someone you can talk to every time you need them!!! I cant stress that enough! Claims are a stressful time have someone you know will take care of you! don't trust just whoever answer the phone in a call center.

  • Susan Smith Susan Smith on Dec 21, 2016
    Not without your permission. There may be circumstances that they would have a company protect your property but not designated repairs.

  • Annie Annie on Dec 22, 2016
    Jennifer is 1000% right. Particularly with regard to homeowners insurance you need an agent to help you. They cut through the nonsense and get help to you ASAP. This is really important in the case of a flood. I had two sewer back-ups in my house with extensive damage. In the first event the mitigation company did a lousy job...sent pictures to my agent and they were right back the next day.

  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Dec 22, 2016
    You are 100 % right.It is also in the contract you sign,if you bring in another repair company,other than the one they use,you are responsible for ALL COSTS!

  • Bink Bink on Dec 23, 2016
    Gosh...I wasn't aware homeowners insurance covered ANY water damage! I wonder what else is covered that I don't know about??

    • See 1 previous
    • Chris J Chris J on Dec 23, 2016
      It would behoove you to take a magnifying glass and a highlighter and go through your homeowners insurance policy with a fine-toothed comb. I had to do that when a main supply line of the street from us was taken out by a tree. It ripped out all the lines going into the houses on our street. Insurance said nope, an act of God and weren't going to cover anything. I went down the next day after having stayed up most of the night poring over my policy. I told them what I wanted (nicely of course, LOL) and showed them the actual black and white words that said the insurance company had to pay. I also told them I was going to file a complaint with the state Insurance Commission. I wasn't even home 15 minutes when the adjuster was on the phone telling me that our outage and roof were going to be covered and they would send us a check for cost of the "toys" that got fried. Firm but pleasant works most every time.

      The only time your water damage wouldn't be covered is if your city sewage backs up into your basement or stuff like that. Our city has a wonderful thing called "governmental immunity." They don't pay for sewer backups, car damage from huge potholes, etc.

  • Annie Annie on Dec 23, 2016
    Yes they do, make sure it's in your policy. It's an inexpensive add-on that my agent always adds on. Thank god I had it. In the first event I lost the furnace, hot water heater,
    washer, a/c unit, not to mention the filth. The second time was just filth.

  • Shirley Kalinosky Shirley Kalinosky on Dec 23, 2016
    My insurance man told me that pipes that were frozen and broke are NOT COVERED by the insurance because it was outside the house force that did it. I have a leak in my ceiling of my other house and I have a contractor coming to drain the pipes to find out which one of my bathroom pipes is leaking. My house is kept at 62*-65* and I have water running in both sinks upstairs and won and also keep the cabinets open and a small heater in the back room, so I know its not frozen pipes as all of the ones in the basement are foam covered. Repairman won't be charging me what the deducible is for my insurance is $500 so I won't be claiming for that. But since the pipes are possibly old, I will be claiming the repair of the pantry ceiling that partially fell down. You should look into the deducible and get an estimate on the work required to replace the pipes and dry out the insulation. It maybe that you have to replace the insulation also.

  • Linda Lavine Linda Lavine on Dec 23, 2016
    I am currently living in a hotel suite my ins company is paying for as we are in construction after water leak. There is a deck adjuster dealing w living issues who is on top of these things and another project adjuster who is not. Even tho damage mitigation was done quickly and efficantly I have yet to see construction proposal. I will use contractor recommended by is company so I know 100 % of repairs paid for and job is guaranteed by ins co as well as contractor. Ins adjuster will cut thru inevitAble BS to. And this is over christmas,too.

  • Earl Miller Earl Miller on Dec 24, 2016
    YOU who got the worst customer service must have had Nation wide Insurance.
    I worked as a claim adjuster for 5 different Companies for 46 years. The last one was Nationwide. Nationwide tells you to be customer service orientated but then gives you hell for doing so. They do not treat their own employees with dignity, All they do is try their best to degrade their own employees and do not do as they preach. My manager left me in the street after i fell off a roof, he was the first one notified but did nothing. My company car with all the computers and keys, and information were left in the car unlocked for 2 days before i was able to get help to move the car to safety. I was in intensive care for 7 days.
    Horrible customer service, which is nothing at all.

    • Christel Anderson Christel Anderson on Dec 26, 2016
      I do not have Nationwide. I had 5 floods in my condo due to leaking polypipes in the roof of my condo. Insurance said damage is HOA responsibilility and gave me a copy of Fla Statute 713.111 which states that. Unfortunately My Association refuses to pay every time .I pay for Home Insurance.Pay high Maintenance for my condo and have to pay for the waterpipes every time they spring a leak and damage my walls, ceiling and floors.With all your experience can you tell me what to do? Have mold now also.Sure woul appreciate some guidance.Thank you kindly.CJ

  • DORLIS DORLIS on Dec 25, 2016
    They are being lazy and trying to get out of paying. Mine told me there was moss on the roof so they would not cover the damage. Cost me $9000.

  • Harry Harshaw Harry Harshaw on Oct 30, 2017
    Not sure if you have them out there but you can use Farmers. I know a guy here in Georgia and he may know someone in the network. Contact him here.