Asked on Jul 31, 2018

How to separate two rooms?

by Dancemama

I live in an older home. The kitchen and dining room are separated by a half wall that has a pretty large open window in the middle of it. Is there a way to close it off without replacing the wall?

  3 answers
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jul 31, 2018

    I'd add something decorative -- an old window perhaps

    you could put fabric, photos, flowers, etc. on the glass .... and it wouldn't feel so 'closed' in

  • Mkl Mkl on Aug 01, 2018
    Hi Oce,

    Do I understand that you have a wall with a pass-through window? Or do you have a half wall running the length of the wall. The short answer is yes. Before closing in the space, I would try an experiment . Use command strips hang a heavy canvas drop cloth along that wall for a week or two. During that time, pay attention to the amount of light lost and the amount of trapped heat - especially in the kitchen. If you decide that closing in the wall is still what you want to do, then do it. Otherwise some of the ideas Landshark had would work well and be decorative. I had some friends have a half wall in their kitchen and wanted to close it off to add more cabinets in their kitchen. They regretted it about a year later when they realized how hot the kitchen was ans how dark.

  • Amanda Amanda on Aug 06, 2018

    Hello. You could use a tension curtain rod and then put a curtain up.