$0 Laundry Closet Makeover in One Afternoon!
A second-floor laundry closet was a fantastic addition to our fixer-upper home, but the oh-so-blah interior made doing laundry a total snore! Using supplies and decor from my stash, I transformed this basic, small laundry room into a cheerful spot to do my least favorite chore.
I firmly believe in the importance of adding function first, followed by decor.
Months before making our laundry closet pretty, I added a Command hook on the wall for extra hangers, and another on the door to hang a plastic bag for trash and dryer lint.
But one afternoon, faced with the prospect of four loads of laundry, I decided that enough was enough.
If laundry must be done (of course it must), then it should be done in a much cuter room.
By “shopping” my house and completing a few creative DIY projects, this mini laundry closet makeover was finished in a single afternoon – for free!
To add more storage and function to the space, I
- Replaced the plastic hanger hook with a pretty one.
- Made a lint bin using an instant oatmeal box and pretty paper ( learn how to make it here)
- Added a wall-mount basket for "hand-wash only" clothes using a plastic bin, ribbon, and Command hooks.
- Mounted an old floating shelf above the washing machine to hold decor, dryer sheets, and a mason jar for things found in my kids' pockets.
Easy decorations included:
- Embroidery hoop art made with scrap fabric and old clothespins
- Vase with faux succulents from the Dollar Store
- Framed art from my collection
- "Laundry Sucks" art print that I designed (you can get it for free on my blog)
Small makeovers can make a big difference!
As a busy mom with a full-time job, it's hard to find time to overhaul a space. Plus, it's easy to be overwhelmed by the beautiful - but much more involved - makeovers we see on the internet and in magazines.
Don't let lack of time or money stop you from making a mundane room more cheerful! I challenge you to look around your house for things you can use to perk up your least favorite space.
- Can you move artwork from one room to another?
- Is there a basket or vase you can re-purpose?
- Do you have wrapping paper you can pop into an old frame?
Have fun adding more color and function to even your most basic and boring rooms!
Get the free laundry room art print and see more details about each of these DIY laundry room projects on my blog, The No Pressure Life.
- Wrapping paper (Paper Source)
- Dragonfly hook (World Market)
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Published January 27th, 2018 11:23 AM