Want to know how to tell which inside walls are structure walls?

Interested in knocking out a wall between living room and spare bedroom to make one large room. Wondering if I could do this and/or would I have to put a post or two up. Maybe make a half a wall with a post and a post at end of stairway (that isn't there yet)
  8 answers
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 11, 2017
    I think you'll find the answer in the comments to this similar discussion- https://www.hometalk.com/diy/kitchen-dining/q-load-bearing-wall-7856090

    Load bearing wall?
  • Margaret Glaser Knaub Margaret Glaser Knaub on Jun 11, 2017
    no didn't help more confusion...is there no way to tell without tearing out something? oh well thank you anyway

  • Jane Jane on Jun 11, 2017
    go up in the attic or down in the basement and see which way the main supports run. If it's load bearing u can see which walls are carrying the load from there.

  • EmmaSurf EmmaSurf on Jun 11, 2017
    Like Jane said you can tell from attic usually. But if you aren't familar with carpentry, I'd recommend having someone check for you. Doesn't mean you have to hire them for the work, but this is one area you don't want to make a mistake with. It can cause lots of headaches down the road, and hard to fix after the fact (not to mention some homeowner ins policies aren't going to pay if there was structural problems from something the homeowner did).

  • Call a contractor to come out to help you. Generally you can tell if you go up in the attic, but if you do not know what you are looking for, it can be confusing.

  • ObiaMan ObiaMan on Jun 11, 2017
    Like others said, go into your attic and see which way the joists run. If they're running the same way as the wall in question and not crossing over the wall, resting on it, then it's not a load bearing wall. If it is a load bearing wall, you could also run a beam all the way across. This is usually made from a double 2x12 with 1/2" plywood spacer, making the beam 3-1/2" wide. This is a fairly serious thing to do and not typical for a DIYer. It would turn out like a super wide door way in a sense. I once did a house where I combined the living room, kitchen and carport into one big room. One wall was load bearing so I did the beam with a post in the middle and built a bar from the post to an outside wall, so the post didn't look out of place. Part of the kitchen cabinets was also made bar height and a hot tub was installed in the front corner and a keyboard at the opposite end next to the bar. This guy liked to party, so it was one nice big room. We had to build up the carport with cement to make the floor one big seamless area.

  • Joanne Waylett Joanne Waylett on Jun 11, 2017
    i would hire someone to check that out. You don't want your ceiling to collapse somewhere down the road

  • Vicki Rudolph Kennedy Vicki Rudolph Kennedy on Jun 11, 2017
    Agreeing with others. Check attic for direction of beams to see where the load is being carried. Check with a professional though because you still may need to install a support beam across the. Wiki g