Instant Beach Signs From Old Fence Boards!
I love the beach. And often wished I had a cabin on the lake.
But since I don't have exactly either in my backyard, I decided to create the theme anyway... with the help of an old broken down fence!
And the result? A fun wall treatment that can be used for hanging coats, clothes... and maybe even beach towels... sigh... :)
Here's how easy it is to make these... and pretend you're at the beach too!
I am a reclaimed wood aholic so I'm always gathering up old fence boards or pallets!
Fence planks are the PERFECT size for these signs!
Are you SURE your fence doesn't need replacing yet? :)
The key to making these planks look so random is to mix up the plank looks. Some planks were left as raw wood, and others painted.
How to create the picket top:
- Angle the miter saw at a 45 degree angle on one end
- Cut twice
How to coat the plank:
- Paint mostly in the centre of the plank.
- Leave the edges a little bare for a distressed look.
Various getaway type stencils were used for these signs.
The Getaway Collection stencil series HERE are vacation-themed stencils that are built to mix and match so you can also create the messages you desire!
The stencils were positioned in random positions and directions on each plank for a 'gathered over time' look.
A mix of beachy tones and black were used to stencil on the lettering.
How to stencil:
- Dip stencil brush into the paint and remove most with a cloth.
- Tap or swirl paint over top of the stencil for desired effect.
To add some shading:
- Leave stencil in place.
- After the paint is dry, add other tones to the lettering.
Then hang the planks up in a staggered effect and you have yourself some pretty cute summery wall art!
Aren't those beachy tones dreamy? A mix of teal, white and black was used to achieve these looks.
Note how BEACH was stenciled. White was stenciled first, then teal was added from the bottom and faded towards the top. It's so pretty!
These getaway signs really make a statement and can be used for so many things!
- hang pool towels outdoors
- perfect for bathroom towels indoors
- front entry coat hooks
- clothing hooks in bedrooms
... and so much more!
- Getaway Collection stencils (https://www.funkyjunksoldsignstencils.com/products/getaway-collection)
- Stencil brush (craft store)
- Random reclaimed wood planks (the curb)
- Fusion Mineral Paint in various beach tones (website)
Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA on Sep 21, 2016Love these! You do a marvelous job. Don't hate me, but Ivjust returned from a glorious vacation at Pismo Beach, CA and now I must make these to keep the vacation glow going . . . Luckily I have a great scrap pile to start with. Thanks for sharing!