DIY Mosquito Repelling Candles For Outside
These DIY mosquito repelling candles are the perfect summer project!
If you are dining outside, having a party, or just want to read a book on the porch…these little candles are so great to have by you!
They are also really cute, so they make a wonderful addition to your outdoor space.
Fun fact, I made these candles about six years ago, but I never shared them on the blog! I saw them on a Food Network show, and thought that was such a good idea. I wasn’t sure if people would want to see anything like this way back then. Anyways, I was reminded of them again when we were on vacation. I saw a restaurant had some floating candles. I remembered this DIY and decided to finally share it with you.
You can join us on Instagram for a fun video today too. Here is how to make them.
Ingredients Needed for DIY Mosquito Repelling Candles:
- Floating Candles (I am using 2 inch)
- Glass Jars (I am using 8 oz)
- 25-30 drops Citronella Essential Oil per jar
- Fresh Lemon Slices
- Natural Food Coloring (optional)
- Fresh Lemongrass, Rosemary, or Basil (optional)
- Water to Fill Jars
- Add lemon slice to your jar. I do about 3-4 slices in an 8 oz jar.
- If you would like, add in some fresh lemongrass, rosemary, and basil. A little of each for looks and added repellent. For this recipe, I only used lemon which works great too.
- Next, fill in with water. Fill so that there is space at the top for a floating candle.
- Add in the citronella oil to the top.
- You can add some food coloring on the top of these for aesthetic. I am using natural Lemon food coloring to get that pretty yellow look.
- Place the floating candle on top.
- Light the candles and place around your table.
If you would like another idea to repel mosquitoes then read this guide on how to make citronella candles.
Don't forget to click on the blog post link for more details and science behind each ingredient!
- Floating candles (online)
- Citronella essential oil (online)
- Glass jars (online)
- Fresh lemon slices (grocery store)
- Natural food coloring (online)