How To Create Your Own Vintage ‘Crackled’ Shutters
Sandra from Charmed Crown Blog created a these fantastic shabby chic shutters with Simplicity, Crackle Medium, and Natural Wax!
This project was fun to see come alive in a few simple steps.
I’ve had these shutters for about six months now or more and hadn’t gotten around to working on them, but I knew I wanted to give them a creative look at some point.
I love the crackled chippy look that certain pieces of furniture and accent pieces have. When I realized Country Chic Paint had come up with their own crackle medium product, I couldn’t pass up. I have two sets of these shutters, and I decided to try this method on one of the sets for now.
I knew I wanted the brown stain these shutters had originally to show through therefore I gave these shutters a good wipe down and took off any of the hardware they still had on them and went to work.
Here are the steps as I said, simple, 1, 2 and 3:
- Apply the crackle medium with a brush, let sit and dry for minimum of 12 hours as directed.
- Apply your favorite color of choice, mine was Simplicity by Country Chic Paint and let dry for a few hours and you’ll see almost right away the crackling show through.
- Distress if any and apply your choice of Tough Coat or Wax, I didn’t want much of a sheen look on these therefore I went with Country Chic Paint’s Natural Wax.
To be honest I think the hardest part of this project if there was any was just deciding where I wanted to put these pretty chippy crackled Shutters. Still unsure I couldn’t wait to show you how cool they turned out.
Then I realized well hello I have another pair in the garage to play with so why am I even having to decide. So I went with the downstairs first because our bedroom is getting a few updates done and I’m not quite ready to put them up in there yet.
They turned out great, didn’t they? You guys need to get your hands on this crackle medium asap! Country Chic paint is by far one of my favorites chalk-based paints to work with and now they’ve literally impressed me with their new fun creative products that can turn your boring shutters or anything into a pretty chippy or a crackled shabby chic look! Amazing isn’t it?
So are you willing to give it a try? Super easy and you can’t mess up, that’s the best part!
Enjoyed the project?
- All-in-One Decor Paint (Country Chic Paint)
- Crackle Medium (Country Chic Paint)
- Natural Wax (Country Chic Paint)
Published August 22nd, 2017 12:03 PM
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?