The 7 Best Closet Organization Systems to Refresh Your Space
By Corrie Pelc
Closets are a funny thing. When they’re small, all we ever do is complain that they’re so small they’re unusable. When they’re too big, all we ever do is complain that they’re so large, they can’t be organized properly.
Whether your closet is too big, too small, or the Goldilocks version of just right, a closet organization system can help ensure you make the most of the space you’ve been given. Closet storage systems come in a variety of types, colors, and materials, usually including bars, shelving, and the required mounting hardware.
With so many options on the market, it can be hard to track down exactly which closet organization system you need. Here’s a look at the best closet systems we found to help you achieve the closet of your dreams.
Best Basic Closet Organization System: Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Closet KitAn all-around standard wall-mounted closet storage system that will fit almost any closet in your home.
Best Freestanding Closet Organization System: Whitmor Double Rod Freestanding Closet OrganizerA freestanding metal wire closet organizer that can be used both inside and outside a closet.
Best Closet Organization System for Walk-Ins: Closet Evolution Walk-In Closet OrganizersFully arrange a large walk-in closet with a system designed to smartly use its space.
Best Closet Organization System for Small Closets: ClosetMaid Custom Organizer Wood Closet SystemAn affordable wood laminate wall-mounted system perfect for smaller closets.
Best High-End Closet Organization System: The Container Store's Elfa SystemBuild a closet storage system that works exactly how you need it to through an endless array of modular options.
Best Closet Organization System for Shoes: Simple Trending 3-Tier Stackable Shoe RackA top-selling shoe rack featuring three shelves and connectors for stacking another rack on top.
Best Closet Organization System for Kids: MAGINELS Children WardrobeA bright and cheery freestanding closet storage system perfect for kids.
How to Buy a Closet Organization System
When looking to purchase a closet storage system, here are a few things to consider:
- Wood or Wire? Closet storage systems generally come in two different material types. Wire systems are what you typically find in big box stores — they've been around for ages and are a good, affordable option. Laminated wood storage systems are a bit more expensive and provide a more luxurious feel to your closet.
- How Is It Mounted? Closet organization systems are generally mounted in one of two ways. Freestanding systems just sit on the floor of your closet and do not need to be attached to a wall. That means no hole drilling! On the opposite spectrum are wall-mounted systems. These usually require you to drill a hole in the closet wall to install the system using the included hardware. Wall-mounted organizers sometimes provide a more "built-in" look and can be sturdier since they are attached to the wall.
- What Do You Need? Before purchasing a closet storage system, take a good look at your closet and its contents. What do you need help organizing? Is it sweaters that will be folded on shelves or in drawers? T-shirts and blouses that will be hung on rods? Pants that need a special pant rack? Or do your shoes and accessories that really need the help? Once you've narrowed down your needs, you can really find the right system.
Test Factors We Considered When Picking the Best Closet Organization System
We used the following test factors to decide our list of the best closet storage systems:
- Material: What type of material is this organization system built from?
- Size: What are the dimensions of the closet system?
- Mounting: Is the closet organization system freestanding or wall-mounted?
- Hanging Rods: How many hanging rods does this organizer come with?
- Shelving: How many shelves does this closet system include?
- Warranty: Is this organizer backed by the manufacturer and if so, for how long?
Let’s take a look at our list of the top-rated closet organization systems you can purchase right now.
Best Basic Closet Organization System: Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Closet Kit
If you are in need of a no-frills organization system for your closet, you'll love the Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Closet Kit. This metal wire wall-mounted organization system is expandable, allowing it to work in closets between 4 and 8 feet wide and up to 22 feet tall. The kit includes four telescoping clothing rods, nine adjustable shelves, plus all the hardware you need to get the system up in a snap. All of the chrome-colored metal components are protected by a satin epoxy finish that will help the system stay good for years to come. Plus, there are plenty of additional accessories available for purchase to further customize this closet organization system. And, finally, the Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Closet Kit is backed by a one-year limited warranty from the manufacturer.
- Basic whole closet organization system for under $200
- Fits closets between 4 to 8 feet wide and up to 22 feet tall
- Includes four telescoping clothing rods and nine adjustable shelves
- Has to be wall-mounted
Best Freestanding Closet Organization System: Whitmor Double Rod Freestanding Closet Organizer
For homeowners or renters who prefer not having to wall-mount a closet organization system, a freestanding closet organizer is a great option. Not only can it be used inside a closet, but it can also be used outside the closet if you want to add organization to a room or garage. Our top pick is the Whitmor Double Rod Freestanding Closet Organizer and with over 11,700 reviews and 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon, there are a lot of people who agree! This metal wire freestanding closet organizer comes in either a gray or white finish. Made from steel rods, the wire system's components are held together with heavy-duty plastic connectors. The system comes with two garment hanging rods and the bottom rod is removable so you can hang longer garments like dresses. It also has five shelves for lots of organizing options. And the Whitmor Double Rod Freestanding Closet Organizer assembles quickly without the use of any special tools.
- Does not need to be wall-mounted
- Assembles quickly without the use of any special tools
- Bottom garment hanging rack is removable to make space for longer garments
- Size may not work in all closets
Best Closet Organization System for Walk-Ins: Closet Evolution Walk-In Closet Organizers
If you have a large walk-in closet that just screams messy, then definitely check out the Closet Evolution Walk-In Closet Organizers available at The Home Depot. Choose from a variety of options, allowing you to mix and match to meet your closet's size and your organizational needs. For example, the Dual Tower Wood Closet System features a wall-mounted system with cut-to-fix rods and shelves that can fit closets between 96 to 120 inches wide. And the Ultimate Wood Closet Corner System has a shelving unit that fits into the corner, allowing you to maximize all areas of your closet to the fullest. All Closet Evolution Walk-In Closet Organizers are wall-mounted, come in a variety of colors, are built from an extra-thick wood laminate, and are backed by a limited lifetime warranty. Full closet organization systems start at around $200.
- Organizing system designed especially for walk-in closets
- Built from extra-thick laminate wood
- Limited lifetime warranty
Best Closet Organization System for Small Closets: ClosetMaid Custom Organizer Wood Closet System
Small closets like entryway closets can become an untidy mess just as quickly as large closets can. If your smaller closets are in need of storage systems, try the ClosetMaid Custom Organizer Wood Closet System. This system is made from sturdy white laminate and is wall-mounted. When installed, it creates up to 6 feet of shelf space with a five-shelf vertical unit. And the two hanging rods can be hung on one side of the shelving tower, creating upper and lower garment hanging rods. Alternatively, you can place one hanging rod on either side of the shelving tower for one large garment hanging rod that extends 108 inches across. Each shelf has a maximum weight capacity of 22.5 pounds and the ClosetMaid system is compatible with closets between 4 and 9 feet wide.
- Closet storage organizer works in closets between 4 and 9 feet wide
- Adds up to 6 feet of shelving space
- Adjustable hanging rods can be placed on one side or both sides of the shelving tower
- Shelves are not customizable
Best High-End Closet Organization System: The Container Store's Elfa System
Configure the closet of your dreams with The Container Store's Elfa System. There's an endless array of options to choose from, including both wall-mounted and freestanding organizers. If you know what you're looking for, you purchase full Elfa closet storage systems online, such as the White Closet With Drawers Complete Storage Solution that includes a 4-foot metal wire closet kit and freestanding four-drawer tower. Or, maybe the Classic 6' Platinum Reach-In Closet might pique your interest. To really get the most out of your closet, The Container Store will sit down with you and help design the best organization system for your needs. Closet organization kits start at around $200 and vary from there.
- Build the closet storage you need with lots of different modular options
- Select from pre-built systems or design your own
- Choose from a variety of wall-mounted and freestanding pieces
Best Closet Organization System for Shoes: Simple Trending 3-Tier Stackable Shoe Rack
With almost 17,000 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, there's no denying why the Simple Trending 3-Tier Stackable Shoe Rack is our top pick for best closet shoe organizer. This three-tier shoe organizer comes in four colors and features a metal frame and polyester canvas shelves that are easy to keep clean — just wipe them with a damp cloth. Because the shelves have no holes or slots, you don't have to worry about small items falling or shoe heels getting damaged. The shelves allow storage for up to 12 pairs of shoes and can be adjusted to make room for taller shoes. And the Simple Trending 3-Tier Stackable Shoe Rack comes with four metal connectors that allow you to stack an additional unit on top for even more shoe storage.
- Three-tier shoe rack for under $25
- Made from a metal frame and polyester canvas shelves
- Comes with four metal connectors to stack another unit on top
- One unit may not be enough for all shoes
Best Closet Organization System for Kids: MAGINELS Children Wardrobe
As kids get older, they love to pick out what they want to wear. And having their own storage system for clothing, shoes, and accessories can help instill early organization and tidiness skills in children. For a closet storage system just for them, we suggest the MAGINELS Children Wardrobe. This highly-rated Amazon choice has almost 3,250 ratings and 4.1 out of 5 stars. Choose from a six-cube or eight-cube organizer, both featuring a garment rack for hanging clothes. The system is available in either a bright pink or blue with fun cartoon animals decorating each door. The storage system is built from high-quality resin plastic and each shelf can support up to 22 pounds. Lastly, the MAGINELS Children Wardrobe is easy to assemble and is backed by a one-year warranty.
- Brightly-colored clothing organizer painted with cartoon animals
- Comes in 6- and 8-cube configurations
- Made from high-quality resin
- May be too large to fit inside some closets
Do you have a closet system that helps you stay organized? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?