What types of glues and paints?

Melissa K
by Melissa K
Hi guys! I want to paint a metal futon bed frame to turn it's pieces into garden fencing/ornaments. What type of paint is recommended? Do I need to sand them first? They have been out in the weather now for about ten years with no pitting or rusting, but i would like them a different color so I can use them.
  3 answers
  • A good sanding to remove any build up of crud is important in order for a paint product to bite and hold onto the metal is important. Try not if the finish is in good shape to sand through to the metal. Just need to roughen up and clean the metal good. A 3-M sanding pad instead of sand paper works well as it will wrap easily around the pipes without tearing. http://www.3m.com/product/information/Flexible-Sanding-Pad.html These pads are not all that different then the sponge and green back scrubbing pads used in kitchens. Just a lot larger and come in a variety of different grits like sand paper does. Once sanded and clean a good quality oil based paint is suggested. Rustoleum brand is what I would suggest. If you can find the brush on color you like, although more work then spray, the final long term results will be much better. But you will still have good results with the spray can products they sell.

  • Melissa K Melissa K on Apr 17, 2013
    Thanks Woodbridge...you are always so thorough and brilliant with your responses. This site is blessed to have you.

  • Thank you for the kind words.