Asked on Jul 25, 2013

Need kitchen sink plumbing help.

by Steven
I had to reconfigure my kitchen sink plumbing, going from double basin to single basin. I need to connect from a p-trap off of the disposal to the drain line. The drain line has a cemented 1 1/2 threaded coupling. The second picture shows what Lowe's told me to do. Unfortunately, where the base of the accordion pipe joins with the p-trap leaks. It does not make a good seal whatsoever. Any suggestions on how to make the configuration more solid?
q need kitchen sink plumbing help, home maintenance repairs, how to, kitchen design, plumbing
q need kitchen sink plumbing help, home maintenance repairs, how to, kitchen design, plumbing
  30 answers
  • I am no plumber but it looks as if the best option may be to reconfigure the main drain line so that the 3-way sweep and the p-trap face each other then connect it that way - if there is enough room. The accordion pipe leaks because the curve is too tight. A longer sweeping curve (which will look funny!) using 45s, 90s, and straight pipe may work better. Hope this helps!!

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Jul 25, 2013
    get rid of the black short elbow piece that came with the disposer and replace it with a long straight run piece. This can be angled back toward the cemented drain port with a twist of the mounting of the disposer. The long straight piece can then be sent to the trap with an elbow fitting there. The outlet of the p-trap could then be sent to the cemented part with a rigid piece.

  • Plumbrite Plumbrite on Jul 26, 2013
    I agree with KMS, or you can cut down on joints by cutting below the sanitary tee and rotating it and the disposal were you can line up the p-trap. This can be done with one 2 inch coupling, if there is a mechanical vent on top of the 2 inch pipe.

  • Steven Steven on Jul 26, 2013
    I think I'm going to cut and replace the tee and rotate the disposal. I would be able to get more under sink storage if I get those pipes out of the way. Thanks, all.

  • Just remember by the looks of your situation you need the p-trap so don't eliminate that but line it up so you don't have to use the flex pipe. Your drain will be clogged all the time if you have that on there. The food coming from the disposer with build up in that thing fast. To be of more help I would need to see a picture from a little further back. But you have the right idea cut that stuff out and line it up correctly and you will be happy you did in the long run. You can get the trap and everything using the PVC piping and then use a trap adapter to connect the 1-1/4 pipe from the disposer. they leak less and last forever compared to the thin plastic. But you will be gluing more joints. just dry fit everything and make sure it lines up before you glue it all together. good luck

  • Core Plumbing San Diego Core Plumbing San Diego on Jul 26, 2013
    Best not to ask the guys working retail for advice on trades. If they were good and knowledgable, they would be in the field making three times their salary. This plumbing under your sink is so wrong on so many levels, and a small leak will ruin thousands of dollars in cabinetry. That's why God made plumbers, who will do it right and assume the liability. Please, call a licensed plumber. There will be no leaks, sewer smell, and it will be done with craftsmanship. I beg you.

    • Hol2725701 Hol2725701 on Jul 08, 2016
      I have similar plumbing issue, not from changes... Paid plumber in past and eventually leaks. I am now disabled and cannot afford to pay another plumber to do it again. Can you recommend DIY options or info? Its all PVC & built in 82. Every plumber either took apart and fresh glue or replaced exactly the same. I am at my wits end!

  • Robin Roderick Robin Roderick on Jul 27, 2013
    It might also be a simple fix by changing out the o-ring, they make thicker o-rings just for this purpose.

  • Rich Rich on Jul 27, 2013
    Follow the pro's advice and not the service personnel. I would have given the same advice even though I am not a pro, but I did construction for over 30 years and have run into the same problems.

  • Your correct. If the sink is a single unit and the disposal is connected to it. Then turn the disposal towards the drain line. Cut the drain line and if you have room, install two slip PVC couplings and turn the tee fitting towards the disposal unit. No room for slip couplings? Use Fernco couplings. Rubber with hose clamp. Loose the accordion fitting. That will plug fast with goop and cause all sorts of issues with clogged drains as a result.

  • Core Plumbing San Diego Core Plumbing San Diego on Jul 28, 2013
    Fernco couplings are designed to be used under ground and do not have the structural support to be relisble on above ground horizontal applications. A no-hub band would be the proper fitting because it is reinforced with a stainless steel covering.

  • Plumbrite Plumbrite on Jul 28, 2013
    go with a 2 inch coupling and glue you have nothing above the tee that is keeping the pipe from turning when you cut it. as far the fernco coupling goes that would not work in this application, because the only thing holding it stable would be the p-trap. fernco couplings can be used here inside, underground we have to use an MG coupling.

  • Steven Steven on Jul 28, 2013
    I wound up cutting out the t and installing a y. Spun the disposer around and hooked up 1 1/2 inch pipe. Seems to be holding well. The latest pic is taken from the right side, where the original is from the left. Thanks!

  • Looks good, but the vent is not high enough. It needs to be at least above the top edge of the sink or close to it.

  • Steven Steven on Jul 30, 2013
    So, the tailpiece did not make a good seal and leaked. I called in a plumber, who wanted to charge me $309 to reconfigure the entire thing. I found a connector that was threaded at both ends, since the tailpiece relied on a nut and washer. I had to shorten the brown tailpiece from the disposal to make it fit. So now it is finally done, with all fittings secured with threads. I also raised the vent to be above the sink drain with a couple of adapters as per Woodbridge's suggestion so I don't get a flood incase of a backup. Thank you all for your guidance and support!

  • yea those plastic washers and fittings if they are not on just right, the leak, even with over tightening it. Glad your back up and running anyway.

  • Core Plumbing San Diego Core Plumbing San Diego on Jul 30, 2013
    That is one deep p-trap, and the slip-joint nuts will always be a source of leaking because they are sub-merged in water. Consider paying the $309.00 and if it leaks after that, he will be on the hook...not you. BTW, the problem is that the san-tee is to high. Your plumber will corect that and it will all be right.

  • Good find Core, Your right, the tee where it connects to the drain pipe is too high. Always better to get a pro on this. Cheep insurance policy.

  • Steven Steven on Jul 31, 2013
    The tee has actually been lowered slightly from its original height from when the house was built. Are you saying that it is too high in relation to the disposal, or too high in general?

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Jul 31, 2013
    That deep P-trap may also keep water in the the disposer itself. It is a little hard to tell from the skewed camera angle but the "high" point of the trap seems above the outlet of the disposer by just a bit.

  • Steven Steven on Jul 31, 2013
    So I guess I will lower the tee a couple of inches. That way I can eliminate the small coupling and hook the trap straight to the elbow.

  • Steven Steven on Jul 31, 2013
    Ok. Think I'm done now. Lowered the tee so it is now below the disposal drain. Third time's a charm.

  • Core Plumbing San Diego Core Plumbing San Diego on Jul 31, 2013
    That's a beautiful thing. Good job.

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Aug 01, 2013
    Well done...better late than never eh?

  • much better. sorry i missed your work in progress pics and couldn't help

  • Meyndert Borrie Bornman Meyndert Borrie Bornman on Jan 02, 2015
    Good job, well done. May be you get someone to do it professionally.

  • Core Plumbing San Diego Core Plumbing San Diego on Jul 09, 2016
    There is nothing comparable to having specialty trades handled professionally. I'm sorry you hired a plumber that could not handle a simple task. That is not your fault, but shameful that some guy claims to know what he is doing and takes your hard earned money. Lots of those guys out there. I can only recommend hiring a good plumber if you want it done right. Yelp reviews are a great way to research. I would look for an owner-operator who has been in business awhile and has five star ratings. Please do not fall for lowest price.

  • Jeff Reynolds Jeff Reynolds on Aug 23, 2016
    Avoid using flex tubing if you can. Food particles gets stuck in the ridges. It cause it to clog more often, but also can smell bad from rotting debris.

  • Jlemons3 Jlemons3 on Oct 16, 2016
    you just set yourself up for problems. the accordion pipe will create odor, clogs,leak. use in other sinks o k .not kitchen.

  • Meyndert Borrie Bornman Meyndert Borrie Bornman on Oct 18, 2016
    Steven, dit you solve your problem?

  • Diane Taylor Noel Diane Taylor Noel on Nov 04, 2016
    Definitely avoid the accordion flex tubing. Someone installed one in our home below the kitchen drain to the main drain and it collected a lot of food and over time clogged. We replaced it with smooth pipe with as straight a footprint as able. For you that may not be possible but it would take a picture of what you have as well as measurement to your nearby home center and have them assist you. Many will cut the pvc but it is easily cut with a hacksaw.