How to hide a ridge from drywall down hallway that is 48" height.

by Sharon
I have an older home and there is a ridge that shows where the drywall meets at the 48" height. This is all the way down a long hallway and on both sides. This is too high for the standard chair rail. Other than replacing the drywall, how is the best and most economical way to cover this up?

  5 answers
  • Lori Verni-Fogarsi Lori Verni-Fogarsi on Dec 09, 2017
    A really skilled painter can skim coat it with drywall mud and sand it so that you’d never know it was ever there.

  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 09, 2017
    There are many things you can do, but for a simple fix, put decorative molding down along the ridge to hide it. You can get a molding that has a profile that stands out from the wall...that kind that finishes off furniture at the top...appears to be a small shelf. Paint this either white or an accent color and then line the wall with family photos in simple frames to make them appear to be sitting on a shelf! You can add in some other interesting objects like a large brass key or any of those adorable flat wall art pieces in wire. Just be sure you have flat pieces that will out of the way in the hallway.

    If your hallway is long, measure and cut the molding in equal strips and use decorative pieces where they can find all of this at the big box store.

  • Dee Dee on Dec 09, 2017
    LOL I have the same problem Im thinking about ................Texured paint Wall paper Stencil a design Good luck

  • Joseph Potts Joseph Potts on Dec 09, 2017
    if you can sand it down and touch up with paint if possible, most likely caused by trucks going down street shaking your house and causing cracks this will happen over and over

  • Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 09, 2017
    Get the Martha Stewart "beadboard" wallpaper and install up to the ridge. (48" is not too high for beadboard.) Then cover the ridge with foam board crown molding or the small shelf if you have room (hall width wise). The wallpaper can be painted.