Asked on Jul 01, 2019

How to run and connect romex wire in old house?

by George
  6 answers
  • William William on Jul 01, 2019

    Hire an electrician. There are codes and permits involved.

  • Dee Dee on Jul 01, 2019

    Here is a video regarding codes for romex

  • Seth Seth on Jul 01, 2019


    What are you running the wire for? There is no one right answer to your question.

  • George George on Jul 01, 2019

    a electric range

    • William William on Jul 02, 2019

      Electric range will need a 220 volt line and a separate dedicated breaker in the main panel. Nothing to play around with. Romex cannot be used on a 220 line. You definitely need an electrician.

  • George George on Jul 02, 2019

    can 8/3 romex be used on 220 volt

  • Seth Seth on Jul 02, 2019

    It depends on the amps and kw your stove draws. Under 50 amps and 12kw, 8/3 is appropriate. Over that and you need 6/3. Both require a 240 line with a 2 pole breaker. (In the U.S. 220 and 240 are the same thing.) Your stove is probably a 120/240 load, meaning it needs 2 hots, ground, and neutral. Distance can also come into play if the line will be more than 50 ft. from breaker to appliance. Code requires the 3 wire (actually 4 wires when including the ground), so a 4 wire plug/outlet. Check the manufacturers website for the installation instructions. Romex is a brand name like Kleenex. For most people, it refers to NM-B, non-metalic cable in the 12/2 or 14/2 size used to wire most home needs. We all just call it "Romex." Southwire is the company that makes Romex in all kinds of configurations including the 8/3 you are talking about. Stranded is fine unless the manufacturer calls for solid for some reason. If you are not comfortable wiring inside your electrical box, call an electrician.