Asked on Jul 24, 2019

How do I rid the crawl space under my house of ground water?

by Linda

I have an older double wide on the lowest spot in my neighborhood. All the runoff from the area accumulates in the crawl space underneath my home. It will build up to about 6-8 inches. I have clay soil so the water will not seep into the ground very fast. How do I alleviate this problem?

  4 answers
  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 24, 2019

    Check into installing a french drain. It sounds like the best answer for your situation.

  • Pamela Marshall Pamela Marshall on Jul 24, 2019

    I know someone that had the same problem. They fixed it by filling the crawl space with sand. No easy task but they no longer have standing water. Good luck!

  • Leah Leah on Jul 24, 2019

    You need French drains. Look on uTube to see how to do it. Our yard would sink like a sponge when we bought it--clay soil too. You can dig by hand or rent a trencher. Our yard no longer sinks when you step on it. Under house stays dry.

  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jul 24, 2019

    is there enough room for a swale (shallow trench) to be dug into your yard? As in have the water go around your home. Put in some retaining wall blocks as edging for the new grading.

    French stains are great, but it sounds like it would fill up with sediment.

    I would fill in the area underneath with dirt, not sand, as sand percolates into the “clay bowl” under your home.