Hometalk.com

Decor Ideas 2 days ago

Mosaic Screen to hide Air Conditioner

When we built a new side yard patio, the location of our air conditioner was less than ideal. So I smashed old plates, cut up old mirror and pieces of stained glass, to make a two sided mosaic screen that picks up the colors of the surrounding hostas.

The cream colored grout is sealed, old fence posts were used as the ends and the whole thing is movable in case we have to get at the air conditioner. It's much nicer to look at than the grey turbine.

To see more: http://blissranch.blogspot.com/

29 Comments Displaying 15 of 29 comments | See Previous
  • Gloria Lumberton, TX
    If you built the posts around backer board, which won't rot & makes an excellent base for the thinset/tile, you could probably discretely drill air holes for more ventilation.
  • Cynthia Goodnight Madison, AL
    how was it installed on the board?
  • Terri J York, PA
    Btilliant and beautiful idea....
  • Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
    There is two feet around the unit, not just a few inches. The glass etc., is adhered using GE silicone II as the glue, onto cement board. The outside square "frame" of the mosaic is screwed to the posts. The whole thing can come apart if need be for
  • Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Great job, such wonderful creativity. I'm with Shelly on trying to figure a similar solution for trash cans.
  • THANKS FOR THIS POST i'M SO DOING THIS!

• Sharon Tillman Nashville, GA
    Keep the fence/short wall about a foot away from the unit; 3" is NOT enough air-circulation space or you will burn your unit out in short order
  • Anna Ibarra San Antonio, TX
    Great job!
  • Jean Butte, MT
    Very nice, Bliss! Thanks for adding my breadbox to your "hideaway" board!
  • Diane B Dublin, GA
    Impressed by your creativity. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more fab projects from you.
  • Gabriel D Canada
    Impressive work. Love the design and colours.
    • Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Gabriel D why thank you Gabriel. I figured I didn't have anything to loose, nothing could look worse than the ugly air unit!
  • Larose LoganOakes Annandale, VA
    Wow! What a terrific idea and it turned out G~o~r~g~e~o~u~s! It's like a fireplace screen only so much prettier.Well done! Have you thought about doing this for profit? I don't know if anyone is doing this or not but someone should be.
    • Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Larose LoganOakes I'm familiar with Etsy. Those air conditioner panels are very heavy, not to mention they would have to be crated to ship. Guess I'm too lazy to have any interest in all
  • Carol Tomlin Spencer, MA
    WOW ! Love this !