Mosaic Screen to hide Air Conditioner

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
When we built a new side yard patio, the location of our air conditioner was less than ideal. So I smashed old plates, cut up old mirror and pieces of stained glass, to make a two sided mosaic screen that picks up the colors of the surrounding hostas.

The cream colored grout is sealed, old fence posts were used as the ends and the whole thing is movable in case we have to get at the air conditioner. It's much nicer to look at than the grey turbine.

• Cracked and smashed China, pieces of mirror and stained glass, hide an ugly air conditioning unit.

To see more:

• Mike Krause
    Mike Krause Staten Island, NY
    Reallybrilliant & unique idea, sometimes the outer unit looks reallyugly. I would really like to implement this in my home. Thanks a lotfor sharing this inspiring idea.
  • Ms. M
    Ms. M Clarkston, WA
    This is beautiful! Such a great way to screen an ugly air conditioner! :-D
  • Patricia Clark
    Patricia Clark Downey, CA
    What did you use to attach the mosaic pieces? Grout?
    • Nancy
      Nancy Brandon, MS
      Bliss R I would love for you to post detailed instructions for building the screen and the mosaic panels!
  • June
    June Harvey, LA
    I love this idea you can mimic the color scheme of your home to reflect in the stain glass. OMGOSH I am doing this in this in the next house.
  • Tina Hesse
    Tina Hesse Savannah, GA
    doesn't this stop air flow for the unit?
    • Bliss R
      Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Nope. It's not right against the unit or the walls, or the ground.
Bliss R

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post