Mosaic Screen to hide Air Conditioner

When we built a new side yard patio, the location of our air conditioner was less than ideal. So I smashed old plates, cut up old mirror and pieces of stained glass, to make a two sided mosaic screen that picks up the colors of the surrounding hostas.

The cream colored grout is sealed, old fence posts were used as the ends and the whole thing is movable in case we have to get at the air conditioner. It's much nicer to look at than the grey turbine.

• Cracked and smashed China, pieces of mirror and stained glass, hide an ugly air conditioning unit.

To see more: http://blissranch.blogspot.com/

• Tina Hesse
    Tina Hesse Savannah, GA
    doesn't this stop air flow for the unit?
    • Bliss R
      Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Nope. It's not right against the unit or the walls, or the ground.
  • June
    June Harvey, LA
    I love this idea you can mimic the color scheme of your home to reflect in the stain glass. OMGOSH I am doing this in this in the next house.
  • Patricia Clark
    Patricia Clark Downey, CA
    What did you use to attach the mosaic pieces? Grout?
    • Bliss R
      Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Patricia Clark First the pieces were attached to cement board with a clear waterproof silicone glue in a tube. After that dries they are grouted in and sealed.
  • Ms. M
    Ms. M Clarkston, WA
    This is beautiful! Such a great way to screen an ugly air conditioner! :-D
  • Mike Krause
    Mike Krause Staten Island, NY
    Reallybrilliant & unique idea, sometimes the outer unit looks reallyugly. I would really like to implement this in my home. Thanks a lotfor sharing this inspiring idea.
  • Arlene Powers
    Arlene Powers Harrisburg, PA
    What a great, original idea. Love the colors and sparkle.
  • Jay Taylor
    Jay Taylor Santa Ana, CA
    Very nice idea indeed. You have applied a fine idea to hide the air conditioner and giving the space a chic look. Well done. I would like to ask a question here. Have you done all by yourself or did you have to hire an expert for pasting all those pieces
    • Bliss R
      Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Jay Taylor all the gluing with my own two hands. The build was by my husband.
  • Jane Taylor
    Jane Taylor Peoria, AZ
    I want to make a lattice one does anyone know of a good video to watch?
  • Carol Tomlin
    Carol Tomlin Spencer, MA
    WOW ! Love this !
  • Larose LoganOakes
    Larose LoganOakes Annandale, VA
    Wow! What a terrific idea and it turned out G~o~r~g~e~o~u~s! It's like a fireplace screen only so much prettier.Well done! Have you thought about doing this for profit? I don't know if anyone is doing this or not but someone should be.
    • Bliss R
      Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Larose LoganOakes I'm familiar with Etsy. Those air conditioner panels are very heavy, not to mention they would have to be crated to ship. Guess I'm too lazy to have any
  • Gabriel D
    Gabriel D Houston, TX
    Impressive work. Love the design and colours.
    • Bliss R
      Bliss R Minneapolis, MN
      Gabriel D why thank you Gabriel. I figured I didn't have anything to loose, nothing could look worse than the ugly air unit!
  • Diane B
    Diane B Dublin, GA
    Impressed by your creativity. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more fab projects from you.
  • Jean
    Jean Butte, MT
    Very nice, Bliss! Thanks for adding my breadbox to your "hideaway" board!
Bliss R