Create Your Own Customized Room Scent

IDEAS 04.12.15
Tired of harsh, artificial room sprays and scents? Why not create your own from all-natural ingredients? I created these room scents from lemon, rosemary and vanilla.

To create my personalized scent, I started with two fresh lemons and then added 2 stalks of rosemary and a teaspoon of vanilla in 2 quarts of water in a pan on the stove. I brought the ingredients to a boil and then turned the heat down to let them simmer.

As the water evaporated, I added more water to keep the fruit and herbs covered at all time.

And as the mixture simmered, the house was full of the smell of spring.

And now...I'm growing my own herbs so I have a built-in supply for a fresh smelling house every day!

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $2.00 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.thistlewoodfarms.com/personalized-all-natural-room-scents

• Gina Gardner
    Gina Gardner Manchester, NH
    I found some old metal beer steins that I fill with water and either dried apple or orange peels and a stick of cinnamon and leave on the heater, the whole house will smell great.
  • Andrea R
    Andrea R Westminster, CA
    if you simmer the apples in a crock pot with cinnamon all day, then you can let it cool and strain it through a collander and make applesauce -- potpourri with a purpose!
  • Gisela Zeledon
    Gisela Zeledon Costa Rica
    When I have my grandchildren for a sleepover I simmer cinnamon, clove and vanilla. They love coming visit.
  • Cindy L
    Cindy L Wesley Chapel, FL
    Love this idea. I have lots of lemons and oranges on my trees, and they aren't ready for eating, so I could use them for something like this. Has anyone tried making a dried mixture using these types of ingredients? any suggestions?
  • Nancy C
    So there is a picture of the lemons and rosemary in a jar but you simmer this stuff on the stove...are you saying that the jar trick works or doesn't?
    • Francine Nault
      Nancy C I would also like to know this Nancy
    • Cortney
      Cortney Cumming, GA
      Putting them in the jar won't work. You need the heat in order to diffuse the scent throughout the house. Like using an oil lamp, or in this case, cooking.
  • Carol Palmer
    Carol Palmer Port Charlotte, FL
    try whole cloves, cinnamon stick, allspice an lemon peels in a saucepan on low on the back of the stove, boy is that refreshing.
  • Kay
    Kay Pontiac, IL
    I love the fragrance of basil! that would work too!
  • Andrea L
    I too am confused with jar and the simmering - picture with jar and lemon and rosemary caught my interest right away so pretty. I used to simmer cinnamon during winter which I will do again, today or tomorrow with this nice cool fall weather. Thanks Thistlewood
  • Joyce reeves
    Joyce reeves Darlington, MD
    My potpourri crock pot no longer works and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know who has them?
    • Kathryn
      Kathryn Long Beach, CA
      Joyce reeves Try the Goodwill stores or any thrift store like the Salvation Army.....
  • Andrea L
    can also try craft stores like AC Moore. I am using an old copper teapot.
    • Barb Burmeister
      Barb Burmeister Westfield, IN
      Andrea L That's a fantastic idea....I just bought a new teapot but didn't have the heart to throw out my old Revere Ware teapot....now I know what to use it for....Thanx
  • Hilliriah Jacobs
    i just did that infusion but i used cinnamon orange peal and an old sprig of rosemary i had stuck somewhere. oh the aroma and the a/c on hm so good
  • Hilliriah Jacobs
    could not help it i had to drink some of that infusion
  • Connie
    Connie Beaverton, OR
    I am confused too about the jar and lemons & rosemary....do you put it in the jar after it cools????
  • Julia Spires
    Julia Spires Tampa, FL
    I am confused as well about the jar and lemons with rosemary?
  • Lin S
    If you had clicked on the pic for the instructions you would have found out she put the ingred. in a mason jar to store in the refrigerator until she was ready to use it.
Thistlewood