How to Build a Herb Spiral Garden

Garden 7 days ago
As a urban gardener, I love ideas that help create more growing space, are visually appealing, low maintenance, very do-able and are easily accessible.

The Herb Spiral is a nature-inspired vertical garden design that is highly productive and energy efficient. It allows you to stack plants in a pyramid to maximise space - a practical and attractive solution. It is typically 6.5ft wide in diameter at the base, ascending to 3.2- 4.2ft, with the center of the spiral at the highest point. The spiral ramp provides a planting area large enough to accommodate all your common culinary herbs but is certainly not limited to just growing herbs!

If you are interested in how the design works and all the benefits, you can read more about them at http://themicrogardener.com/15-benefits-of-a-....

I thought I'd share a tutorial on this DIY project which can be as cheap and cheerful or elaborate as your budget allows - the

Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://themicrogardener.com/4-step-guide-to-building-a-herb-spiral/

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Trisha Fitzjearld
    Trisha Fitzjearld Fennville, MI
    i would love to do this! (tiny frog pond and all) except for flowers and i live in a trailer park so itd have to be a tiny pond and i have no idea how to go about it especially because we have no funds to go about it! is there a cheap or free way to
  • Robin Turner
    Robin Turner Fresno, CA
    I LOVE THIS!!! But i live in a condo in drought stricken central california and my patio is concrete... what can i use at the bottom of the spiral gabion to retain the water and soil?
    • The Micro Gardener - Anne
      Robin Turner There are always solutions with a little creative thinking. Perhaps vary the design by adding a wicking bed at the base so the water wicks up in your situation? Or
  • Danielle
    Danielle Marshville, NC
    Am in love with this idea! I have a horribly awkward space to the side of my back steps that I've been at a complete loss to figure out what to do with, and a squared version of this spiral would be perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    • The Micro Gardener - Anne
      Danielle so happy to hear you now have a design idea to solve your space issue. Would LOVE to see you share a pic when you finish your herb spiral. This concept can be scaled up or down to suit. Have fun!
  • JoyceDobbins
    I live in Ajijic Mexico so this is great for me I am going to do this soon Thanks for the idea Hope you all have a happy new year!!
  • Txtigerpup
    I'd like to request any plans available for the stone filled gabion wall spiral garden shown at the beginning of this article. That actually looks simple and would fit with any location. I would try growing peppers, leaf vegetables, bush beans and
    • The Micro Gardener - Anne
      Txtigerpup There are some basic instructions for making a gabion wall in the article just under the image. I plan to make one of these shortly in my own garden and will be making
The Micro Gardener - Anne