Faux Leaded Glass Window

decor 05.04.15
I've always had a fondness for leaded glass windows, but the expense was out of reach. That is until I found a product that let me turn my boring old glass windows into faux stain glass beauties. I simply applied the product directly onto the existing window. And self-adhesive "leading" strips made the process so much easier. The full tutorial can be found on my blog post ...
  • 1. Here's the before. A faux stain glass window I created using Gallery Glass over a decade ago. I used a hand steamer and scraper to remove the design. I'll be honest -- it took some elbow grease.
  • 2. Before I started, I drew out my desired design on a sheet of paper sized to the window. This served as my template.
  • 3. Then I grabbed my faux stain glass Gallery Glass materials, which included self-adhesive leading strips, liquid leading, and crystal clear "color."
  • 4. I applied the leading strips first. They are so easy to work with and can easily be cut, removed, and repositioned. A level ensured the lines were straight.
  • 5. Once the leading lines were in place, I applied the Gallery Glass crystal clear directly onto the glass. When it dried to clear after 24 hours, it added instant character to my 100+ year old home.

To see more: http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/faux-leaded-glass-window/

• Susan Stodola
    Susan Stodola Pound, WI
    Would it be possible to incorporate bevel clusters into a design with some type of clear glue???
  • Linda @ it all started with paint
    Thanks Patti Tyler ! I highly recommend it!
  • Patti   Tyler
    Patti Tyler Barre, VT
    Great job..... you make it look sooo easy. I am definitely going to try this soon!
  • Linda @ it all started with paint
    Thanks Suzanne T ! Your stained glass piece from my beautiful city sounds lovely! And Nancy Spencer Carlson -- LOL! I think your hands would cramp up trying to squeeze that much Gallery Glass out! :)
  • Marti Biegler
    Marti Biegler Saint Louis Park, MN
    I did this in my bathroom. No curtains needed, but allowed for privacy.
  • Nancy Spencer Carlson
    I suppose this would be a bit much for a sliding patio door in an old trailer, huh? lol!
  • Suzanne T
    Suzanne T Merrillville, IN
    WOW! This looks like the real thing. Love your design. I have some leaded glass light covers that were made for our family room ceiling years ago when I was a working person and could afford nice things every now and then, and a couple of pieces that I
  • Linda @ it all started with paint
    Peggy Hill -- I find that the treatment is more for enjoyment from inside versus outside. During the daylight hours you can't see it from outside. Only in the evening when the
  • Peggy Hill
    Peggy Hill Pocatello, ID
    Linda@ do you know if this can be done to double pane window? I would love to do this to my kitchen windows and back door. my house is over 100 years old and this would look great on the windows.
  • Sheila Moore
    Sheila Moore Newport News, VA
    Thanks I will try the steamer and scraper method.
  • Linda @ it all started with paint
    Sheila Moore -- I did have a Gallery Glass design on the window. I picked up a little hand steamer at Bed Bath & Beyond and would steam and area and then scrape it off with a
  • Sheila Moore
    Sheila Moore Newport News, VA
    Linda@it all started with paint...let me ask you how did you take off what was there? Was it also gallery glass? I also did my side lights on my front door and wanted to do something different on them now. Hope you can help.Thanks,
  • Linda @ it all started with paint
    Sheila Moore -- That's awesome! I only took off the old design because this time out I was looking for something different. I still have one window in the entry with a colorful
  • Sheila Moore
    Sheila Moore Newport News, VA
    I painted my kitchen bay window about 8 years ago with Gallery Glass paint and I just did a re-do on it. Went right over what was already there. It really made it stand out again. It's very easy to do and I get so many compliments on my window.
  • Linda @ it all started with paint
    Kelly S -- This will absolutely hold up in the bathroom. Once it cures, it gets really hard. In fact, I had created a different design on this window using the same product over
Linda @ it all started with paint