Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Inexpensive options for beautiful Countertops!

home 2 days ago
It doesn't always need to be expensive!

I wanted to give a few examples of inexpensive options for beautiful countertops.

Here are three that we have done recently.

The first is a reclaimed top that was on its way to the dump. We refinished it and added it to an antique dresser base to make an island in our kitchen.

The second option is high gloss Laminate... by using a squared off edge instead of the rounded edge we were able to get an appearance more like granite. The example I am showing is also from our kitchen.

Option three is porcelain floor tile.

I recently redid my parents kitchen and used 12"x24" floor tiles for countertop. The surface must be prepped properly and be level. It turned out beautifully. Using large tiles minimizes grout lines. I used a grout very close to the tile colour. We only needed 16 tiles for

69 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 23 of 69 comments | See Previous
  • Katherine
    Katherine Farmington, NY
    Rust-Oleum makes a counter top refinsher paint that works great
    • Sally
      Sally Georgetown, OH
      Katherine I have been scared to try the dimensional sprays. Is it as easy as they tell me? How durable is it?
    • Dawn Becker
      Dawn Becker Gautier, MS
      I'm going to have to check it out for food safety. I want to paint mine so bad.
  • Denise Disinger
    Denise Disinger Larkspur, CO
    That's what I said "if you can afford" Some of the comments are the "Granite is OUT"
  • Tracy M
    Tracy M Maumelle, AR
    I'm a wood girl ~ your island is beautiful! great job!
  • Patricia Morse
    Patricia Morse Lake City, PA
    Just found the "Dried Fava" paint... it's Kilz, in case anyone else wants to know. Thanks much!
  • Sabina Aguilar
    Sabina Aguilar Austin, TX
    love wood hate granite, but need to change counter tops with that roll top finish. But want it to look like granite or wood don't want it to be dated be need a durable surface suggestions please!
  • Angie W
    Angie W Columbus, OH
    Here is the counter tops I am going with..They are laminate..Was gonna go with granite but laminates look as good now.......Lowes has premade counter tops according to length....My husband is/was a professional (has built and installed countertops,
  • Angie W
    Angie W Columbus, OH
    Thanks, honey....
  • Kathy Elizabeth
    Kathy Elizabeth Charleston, SC
    Great Post ! They are all so clever and Gorgeous!
  • Cynthia Weber @ A Button Tufted Life...
    Thank you @KathyElizabeth !!
  • Lisa
    Lisa New Hartford, CT
    I have the counters Angie W posted a picture of, but I find them very frustrating to deal with. In fact, that's why I'm on Hometalk today, researching inexpensive ways to re-do countertops. I'm hoping there is a product or paint or something that I can
    • Dawn Becker
      Dawn Becker Gautier, MS
      I'm the same way. I want my counters and floors to look clean. I need solid colors.
  • Ginamart2002
    I have tile what can I do? Cover it or paint would like to rip it up but cost to much
  • Marj
    Marj Sun City, AZ
    I actually painted my countertops since they were an unusual size and to replace them even with laminate was over $1800. They are beautiful! I researched online and then went to my local Sherwin-Williams to buy the paint and supplies. Everyone who sees
  • Marj
    Marj Sun City, AZ
    For the counters, here is a before and after shot. I also painted the cabinets and put on updated hardware.
  • Marj
    Marj Sun City, AZ
    Here is one section of the cabinet and new hardware
  • Marj
    Marj Sun City, AZ
    Katherine, they have held up well for me. I do not cook a lot, being retired, and make sure to use a cutting board. My Godson cut his bagel on the counter and it did scratch; however, it didn't remove the color and just adds character. I am pleased with
    • Katherine Couvillon
      Katherine Couvillon Charlottesville, VA
      Marj Sounds like a great option and a way to save a lot of money and still get a kitchen you love. Thanks for sharing your process and success!
Cynthia Weber @ A Button Tufted Life...

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing