Hometalk.com

6 Tips To Eliminate Weeds In Your Garden!

Weeds. The enemy of gardeners the world around! They are responsible for choking the life from vegetable and flower gardens, while stealing life-giving nutrients away from our plants. Weeds are also the reason many gardeners throw their hands up by mid-summer and call it a year.

It simply doesn't have to be that way. In fact, some of the most time-consuming chores we have been led to believe help with gardening and weeds - are actually the main culprit to creating more! Simply by eliminating those weed promoting practices, and replacing with a few time and labor saving methods - you can all but eliminate the issue of weeds in your garden.

We spend no more than 10 minutes a day handling all of the chores in our garden - including weeding - and that's not a misprint! The first step is realizing that eliminating weeds in a garden is a process and not a one time thing. But don't let that scare you - the process is simple and leads to a productive and beautiful garden in a fraction of the time.

Here are six ways we keep our garden weed free - and fun to be and work in!

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/03/19/6-tips-to-eliminate-weeds-from-your-garden/

65 Comments Displaying 15 of 65 comments | See Previous
  • I also use newspaper and untreated grass, but it dawned on me one day to buy the woodpile tarps that are about 4' x 18'. My garden is 18' wide, so it works perfectly! You can fold over and make it 2' wide if u want narrower walkways. No weeds grow
  • If you want organic produce DO not use Preen
  • Grass clippings don't grow. That is if you mow properly. Meaning weekly, with about 1/3 of the length of the grass blade cut at a mowing. Also your lawn needs to be grass. Some people water and mow weeds and call it the lawn. Those are weed clippings and
  • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    there is a PREEN FOR VEGS, I beleive its ORGANIC.....I don't us BARK like years ago....I now purchase a "SOIL BUILDING COMPOST "-from Gardener and Bloome at the local nursery... It looks like similiar bark but has the benefits of compost.... next year I
  • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    Any input on the TUMBLER TYPE COMPOST BINS, you turn with a handle ????

You really need to know your neighbors and VENDORS...... many dump everything in the yard waste, including WEEDS.... we got

• Susan Scott Hopkinsville, KY
    I use empty drink bottles for baiting snails. When I cannot sneak one of hubby's beers to sacrifice for bait, I add some yeast to water and place the bottles around the garden. The smaller bottles are less noticeable. Don't forget to re-cap and toss the
  • Debbie M Knoxville, TN
    I tried beer for slugs, and you guys are right - they love it. And they just got fatter. I never had one drown. Eggshells around affected plants seem to work. As to an organic weed treatment, go to Amazon and look for 21% vinegar solution. I get the
  • Bonnie Bassett Hinsdale, NH
    I have a terrible weed growing in one of my gardens it has many small thorns that really HURT when you barely touch them when it fist appeared it grows quite tall and has pretty little blue flowers but it takes over and spreads beneath the soil I have
  • Maureen Durno Australia
    try smothering with newspapers then mulch on top of the mulch completely smother it...I do not know what it is but it works with horrible weeds Good luck
  • Lynda Pensacola, FL
    I use diatamacous earth for slugs. I helps control most soft skinned bugs, plus fleas.

If you want inexpensive TARPS, check your local billboard installers. They take the

• Justin Mitchell Des Moines, IA
    angie, if there just in your lawn itself overseed your garden in the fall, seed in the spring, and let your grass grow tall enough to seed which would be in may. By which time the grass will be tall enough to block out light to the weeds and all the
  • Brenda Barton Royse City, TX
    My apt./ duplex took down the gutters last fall and haven't replaced them with new one as yet. I had peat and soil and miracle grow mixed in my bed. I now have a trench going down the middle of the bed.. The tree roots are taking over. Is there a
  • Brenda Barton Royse City, TX
    Also , grass clippings are good so long as they don't contain seeds, such as bermuda . Bermuda seeds I discovered,while mowing will sprout where they fall.
  • SYNLawn Of Kansas City Lees Summit, MO
    Thanks for sharing these are awesome tips!
  • Jean Kahler Jefferson, SD
    2 or 3 layers of newspaper between the rows, covered w/weed free cut grass has done the trick for me in South Dakota, Zone 4.