Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 2 days ago

How To Make Homemade Goo Gone

Recycled glass jars and bottles can be put to lots of good use around the house for storage or decorating. The most challenging part of recycling glass jars, however, can be getting the label completely off with no traces of the sticky gunk left behind. In the past I've used a product called Goo Gone for this job and it's always worked well. But guess what? You can make your own Goo Gone by simply combining vegetable oil and baking soda. I tested it out on a couple little glass jars and it really does work! You can click on the link below to read the complete instructions.
Time: 5 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.themakeyourownzone.com/2013/03/homemade-goo-gone-does-it-work.html

172 Comments Displaying 15 of 172 comments | See Previous
  • Marie Masker Keyport, NJ
    rubbing alcohol !!!
  • Diane B Chattanooga, TN
    When my Goo be Gone is gone I will try this for sure!
  • Dee Blount Forest Park, GA
    We are using all recycled jars (pickle jars, small mayo jars, marinara sauce jars) for candle holders for my nephews wedding. working out beautifully-- some are covered in tissue paper, some in fine tulle net, some in antique looking lace, and some with
    • Gina Carson Detroit, MI
      Dee Blount Do you have pictures of the jars used at the wedding? I would like to see them. Could you email them to me at gcdrummer (at) juno (dot) com? Thanks, <3 Gina <3
    • Dorothy StHilaire Winthrop, ME
      Dee Blount I would love to see these recycled glass jars if you have any pictures .
  • Judy Davis Pinellas Park, FL
    I use lighter fluid or charcoal fluid. Works like a charm!
  • Linda Weeks Street, MD
    there are just so many different kinds of adhesive used, I guess there's a lot of trial and error. All good suggestions!
  • I agree! It's been so interesting to see all the different methods being used to get rid of sticky labels!
  • I swear by Avon Skin So Soft, original version. Rub on the gunk, wait about 15 minutes and then just wipe off.
  • Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it.
  • Kim Sapulpa, OK
    lighter fluid provides instant removal of adhesives.
  • Colleen Fargo, ND
    I've tried this method of oil and baking soda, and it works every time.
  • Ron DeMattio Olean, NY
    I agree with the other comment that different types of adhesives are being used, so there is no one solution for every bottle. I've taken labels off by soaking in water, and others leave a gummy mess that won't come off without solvent.
  • Stacey A Harrisburg, PA
    Lemon essential oil works great!
  • Pat Thistle Framingham, MA
    and I've used just plain ole BABY OIL