Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How To Make Homemade Goo Gone

Recycled glass jars and bottles can be put to lots of good use around the house for storage or decorating. The most challenging part of recycling glass jars, however, can be getting the label completely off with no traces of the sticky gunk left behind. In the past I've used a product called Goo Gone for this job and it's always worked well. But guess what? You can make your own Goo Gone by simply combining vegetable oil and baking soda. I tested it out on a couple little glass jars and it really does work! You can click on the link below to read the complete instructions.
Time: 5 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.themakeyourownzone.com/2013/03/homemade-goo-gone-does-it-work.html

177 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 18 of 177 comments | See Previous
  • Marie Masker
    Marie Masker Keyport, NJ
    rubbing alcohol !!!
  • Diane B
    Diane B Chattanooga, TN
    When my Goo be Gone is gone I will try this for sure!
  • Dee Blount
    Dee Blount Forest Park, GA
    We are using all recycled jars (pickle jars, small mayo jars, marinara sauce jars) for candle holders for my nephews wedding. working out beautifully-- some are covered in tissue paper, some in fine tulle net, some in antique looking lace, and some with
    • Kathy Wheeler
      Kathy Wheeler Sinton, TX
      Dee Blount Like everyone else would LOVE to see the jars your doing, we are getting ready for Grandson's wedding with similar
  • Judy Davis
    Judy Davis Pinellas Park, FL
    I use lighter fluid or charcoal fluid. Works like a charm!
  • Linda Weeks
    Linda Weeks Street, MD
    there are just so many different kinds of adhesive used, I guess there's a lot of trial and error. All good suggestions!
  • Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone
    I agree! It's been so interesting to see all the different methods being used to get rid of sticky labels!
  • Lynne Sedgewick Lyon
    I swear by Avon Skin So Soft, original version. Rub on the gunk, wait about 15 minutes and then just wipe off.
  • Wendy Ann Short
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it.
  • Kim
    Kim Sapulpa, OK
    lighter fluid provides instant removal of adhesives.
  • Colleen
    Colleen Fargo, ND
    I've tried this method of oil and baking soda, and it works every time.
    • Danna Hendrix
      Danna Hendrix Haughton, LA
      Colleen Does it cause a film of baking soda residue or is it gritty?Thank you
    • Colleen
      Colleen Fargo, ND
      Danna Hendrix After I clean off the glue, then rinse with a little dish soap. I gues then its a two step process. Once the glue is off, then wash like any ordinary dish.
  • Ron DeMattio
    Ron DeMattio Olean, NY
    I agree with the other comment that different types of adhesives are being used, so there is no one solution for every bottle. I've taken labels off by soaking in water, and others leave a gummy mess that won't come off without solvent.
  • Stacey A
    Stacey A Harrisburg, PA
    Lemon essential oil works great!
  • Pat Thistle
    Pat Thistle Framingham, MA
    and I've used just plain ole BABY OIL
  • Rhjensen
    We just mixed a little baking soda with Realemon juice
  • Y
    It really works ......... bought a bird feeder, covered with label on three sides. Tried everything to get it off, only top layer of label came off until I tried this .... Thanks
Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing