HELP, how do I get rust off an old cast iron cornbread pan?

05.30.15
I found this great pan at a thrift store and paid 50 cents for it. It is a neat Sugaro cactus design, too cool. But the previous owner let is get rusty. I already tried Easy Off and wanted to try Naval Jelly, but the Naval Jelly is caustic and cast iron is porous. Any suggestions? Thanks :-)
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I have no clue what kind it is. The sort of shiny top has these dark areas. I have had it for quite a while. There are no markings on the back, like some of my others. But it looks 'poured' if that means anything. It is a heart shaped tray that I usually
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Is this an anodized tray or is the aluminum "bright"? if bright you may be able to buff out the spots with a kitchen scrubby...if anodized...that is a hard "electro-chemical" treatment that has been done to the metal...
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Now a new question: I have a cast aluminium heart shaped tray and would like to use it for Valentine's. But there are spots and discolorations on it. HOW DO I CLEAN IT without hurting it. Thanks.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I do 95% of my cooking in cast iron...At home we have a 10" and 12" skillet, a "chicken fryer" ( which is a deep skillet with a skillet lid) a number of smaller 4 and 6" skillets, and my all time favorite a huge 14 qt coal top dutch oven. The last few
    • Amy Collier
      Amy Collier Hot Springs National Park, AR
      Did you figure it out? Love to know myself.
  • Bill H
    Bill H Ephrata, PA
    Just so everyone knows he is named Joey and he is 9 months old and 130lb he is a blue mural great Dane and he is the biggest baby
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Thanks Becky Sue, when I want to 'fry' something with HOT oil, then I use peanut oil because it can tolerate much higher temperatures. I am one of those 'few folks' that have numerous oils in my fridge. It does take up lots of room, and usually I don't
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Peanut Oil is a very viable option! The bonus is that it (along with Safflower Oil) does not break down as fast under high heat and has less flavor. Disadvantage - most people don't have them in their pantry and they are more expensive.
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I usually use olive oil, but thought that this may not need it. As to dinner, well, I'll serve it up as soon as you get here.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    I don' t worry about taste. I burn everything anyway. When is dinner. We all will be right over!
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I always think that peanut and olive oil leave a bit of a 'taste' residue, so I used just plain veggie/safflower oil. I can't wait to use it.
    I always understood to use peanut oil, Or does it not matter?
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Wow, great conversation! @Bill, I love the picture of your dog as well. He/she is really something!
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Love the picture of your dog. Mine will turn 19 at the end of this week. He sleeps most of the day and I check his breathing regularly. He is a sweet companion.
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Lady and gentlemen, I now have a wonderful, almost new, Lodge Sugaro cactus cornbread pan. It currently is cooling in the oven. I can't wait to try it, I almost want to invite you all over for Chili and cornbread. Thank you, you were great.
  • Bill H
    Bill H Ephrata, PA
    I do agree with Becky Sue with most of what she said ,but I would use a brillo or a wire brush to remove the rust then wash it out with soap and water rise well to remove all the soap then place it in to a fire or a gas grill and heat it till it stops
Rose S