HELP, how do I get rust off an old cast iron cornbread pan?

I found this great pan at a thrift store and paid 50 cents for it. It is a neat Sugaro cactus design, too cool. But the previous owner let is get rusty. I already tried Easy Off and wanted to try Naval Jelly, but the Naval Jelly is caustic and cast iron is porous. Any suggestions? Thanks :-)
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I have no clue what kind it is. The sort of shiny top has these dark areas. I have had it for quite a while. There are no markings on the back, like some of my others. But it looks 'poured' if that means anything. It is a heart shaped tray that I usually
  • Carolyn B
    Carolyn B Castalia, NC
    I have always burned mine over an open flame fire pit..This will have an ashy look afterward but will wipe out! then wash really well..all the rust should be gone then start seasoning...From then on never put soap on it! Happy cooking!
  • Victoria S
    Victoria S Cape Coral, FL
    when you season them to put in oven,turn them bottom side up! 225 oven heat
  • DianaB
    DianaB Weaver, AL
    Yikes. Never clean cast iron with anything caustic. Put it in hot soapy water and scrub away with a stainless steel pad, soapy kind is okay. Scrub it down inside and out until everything is clean. You should get down plain old rusty-looking cast iron.
  • Sassysugarcreek
    Sassysugarcreek Thebes, IL
    I have found if I have a stuck mess like after frying pork chops..just turn heat up to med high and add a small amount of hot water, then stir it well scrapping the sides down also. Kinda like you were making gravey until most of the water has cooked
Rose S
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post