Re-growing Celery from Celery

garden 06.07.15
Have you heard of Re-growing Celery from Celery?

I LOVE this idea for my garden! Did you know that you can grow another complete celery stalk from the bottom piece that you cut off and throw away? Cut off the end that you would normally "throw away" and then place it in a small dish filled with warm water.

Next "pot" the celery stalk (Stalk Side Up) or place in your garden. Just dig a small hole, fill it with water and set the end in the hole, then cover it up with an inch or so of soil. Water thoroughly. That is it! Now the "end" will grow into a full stalk of celery! Rinse and Repeat and you never have to buy celery again! Talk about a way to save money! This photo is taken on day 7 and as you can see it is working!

To see more: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2012/04/pinterest-pin-of-the-day-16/

• Jane DeBow
    Jane DeBow Davenport, IA
    Barbara Pugh 1, perhaps you could try putting a milk jug over it for protection. That is what I use when I plant my tomatoes. I cut the bottom off and also the handle and after placing the milk jug over the plant I use the hole where I cut the handle off
  • Julie
    Julie Canada
    I remember my Mother in law using quart or 2 quart milk containers cut off at both ends for keeping the celery and romaine upright and light colored. I haven't tried it. I usually grow peas and beans and leaf lettuce.
  • Mary Ann Boone
    Mary Ann Boone Lexington, KY
    My romaine grew in water, but after a few weeks, it stopped growing. There was not enough to make a tiny salad. LOL!!
  • Karen Dries
    Karen Dries Hamburg, PA
    I have done this several times. Got one growing right now in fact, it does work
  • Butch Fertic
    Butch Fertic Kissimmee, FL
    I do this with my scallions remove the bottoms and replant them as well as my white onions and celery too.
Stockpiling Moms