Re-growing Celery from Celery

Propagation 03.26.16
Have you heard of Re-growing Celery from Celery?

I LOVE this idea for my garden! Did you know that you can grow another complete celery stalk from the bottom piece that you cut off and throw away? Cut off the end that you would normally "throw away" and then place it in a small dish filled with warm water.

Next "pot" the celery stalk (Stalk Side Up) or place in your garden. Just dig a small hole, fill it with water and set the end in the hole, then cover it up with an inch or so of soil. Water thoroughly. That is it! Now the "end" will grow into a full stalk of celery! Rinse and Repeat and you never have to buy celery again! Talk about a way to save money! This photo is taken on day 7 and as you can see it is working!

To see more: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2012/04/pinterest-pin-of-the-day-16/

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Marilyn S
    Marilyn S Republic, OH
    I know when we cut off our cabbage in the garden , cut above the bottom few leaves and it will grow new little cabbages. By fall they are really solid and good.
  • Mary Ann Boone
    Mary Ann Boone Lexington, KY
    I'm growing romaine from a stalk in a bowl of water. It has grown about 4 inches. I'm not sure if I should keep it there or try to plant it in soil. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Mine turned out to bed a dud, or this celery thing just doesn't work. Put it in water for a few days and saw a little growth, then planted in soil and its starting to turn funky colors, think I'll throw it out today and try lettuce.
  • Patricia Pierson
    Patricia Pierson Springtown, TX
    My friend whom is 75 yrs old has been re growing her celery for many many years. I go to her for advise before experts as she has a lot more experiance then all. To all: just try it, whatever it is. You will never know if you don't try.
  • Sara D
    Sara D Frankfort, IN
    Polly Zieper-it is 'hardening off" and it means to let the plant get used to being outdoors a little bit at a time! A few hours the first day, a bit more the next etc etc! Then it doessn't go int o shock and die!
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thank you, Sara, and Patricia- What is your friend's advise?
  • Nicola G
    Nicola G New Britain, CT
    Polly, Sara D (Thanks Sara!) got to you first, with the correction and answer. [Was that before they put Rt.9 in, splitting Stanley Street, and the city? You wouldn't know this place now--I only moved here 20 years ago, and there've been many changes in
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Nicola,I was only in 6th grade, and wasn't driving, of course, so I don't remember the city that well, but I went to Israel Putnam school, then transferred to Stanley School, which I think(???) was on the campus of Central.
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    If you've suyccessfully regrown lettuce or cabbage, do you put the cut or the uncut side face-up in a bowl of water? just started a new head of Romaine tonight.
  • Cheryl Swain
    Cheryl Swain Virginia Beach, VA
    how long do you leave it in the water before you plant? Do you warm fresh water every day ?
  • Donna Williams
    Donna Williams Sebring, FL
    Polly...I just cut the the bottom 2-3 inches off the bottom of the celery and we planted it straight into pot full of Miracle Grow potting soil. It is now about 7 inches tall. Keep it watered everyday and for the first few weeks keep it out of full sun.
  • BarbaraPugh1
    BarbaraPugh1 Portland, OR
    Has anyone put protection around the plant, so it does get so dark green and will be milder tasting. I tried a tin can while it was small, but it got sunburned and a few leaves died. Someone told me to use PCV pipe. Now I just have to find or buy some of
  • Rosalie M
    Rosalie M Kingston, PA
    I started one at my sisters' house and within just a few days the center sprouted. She called me the other day and said it now has roots and she was transferring to a pot. We are excited about it actually working. Can't wait til it is a mature stalk.
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    celery, scallions, and now romaine lettuce, and no luck.
  • Zara
    Zara Mesa, AZ
    I love all the ideas here, I love trying new things even it if it doesn't work the 1st time. I actually had the entire front wall taken off my Arizona room so it is now an indoor outdoor room, plenty of light and shelter but the full sun can't get in but
  • Jane DeBow
    Jane DeBow Davenport, IA
    Barbara Pugh 1, perhaps you could try putting a milk jug over it for protection. That is what I use when I plant my tomatoes. I cut the bottom off and also the handle and after placing the milk jug over the plant I use the hole where I cut the handle off
  • Julie
    Julie Canada
    I remember my Mother in law using quart or 2 quart milk containers cut off at both ends for keeping the celery and romaine upright and light colored. I haven't tried it. I usually grow peas and beans and leaf lettuce.
  • Mary Ann Boone
    Mary Ann Boone Lexington, KY
    My romaine grew in water, but after a few weeks, it stopped growing. There was not enough to make a tiny salad. LOL!!
  • Karen Dries
    Karen Dries Hamburg, PA
    I have done this several times. Got one growing right now in fact, it does work
  • Butch Fertic
    Butch Fertic Kissimmee, FL
    I do this with my scallions remove the bottoms and replant them as well as my white onions and celery too.
Stockpiling Moms