Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Re-growing Celery from Celery

For the Garden 5 days ago
Have you heard of Re-growing Celery from Celery?

I LOVE this idea for my garden! Did you know that you can grow another complete celery stalk from the bottom piece that you cut off and throw away? Cut off the end that you would normally "throw away" and then place it in a small dish filled with warm water.

Next "pot" the celery stalk (Stalk Side Up) or place in your garden. Just dig a small hole, fill it with water and set the end in the hole, then cover it up with an inch or so of soil. Water thoroughly. That is it! Now the "end" will grow into a full stalk of celery! Rinse and Repeat and you never have to buy celery again! Talk about a way to save money! This photo is taken on day 7 and as you can see it is working!

To see more: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2012/04/pinterest-pin-of-the-day-16/

113 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 113 comments | See Previous
  • Nicola G
    Nicola G New Britain, CT
    Polly, Sara D (Thanks Sara!) got to you first, with the correction and answer. [Was that before they put Rt.9 in, splitting Stanley Street, and the city? You wouldn't know this place now--I only moved here 20 years ago, and there've been many changes in
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Nicola,I was only in 6th grade, and wasn't driving, of course, so I don't remember the city that well, but I went to Israel Putnam school, then transferred to Stanley School, which I think(???) was on the campus of Central.
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    If you've suyccessfully regrown lettuce or cabbage, do you put the cut or the uncut side face-up in a bowl of water? just started a new head of Romaine tonight.
  • Cheryl Swain
    Cheryl Swain Virginia Beach, VA
    how long do you leave it in the water before you plant? Do you warm fresh water every day ?
  • Donna Williams
    Donna Williams Sebring, FL
    Polly...I just cut the the bottom 2-3 inches off the bottom of the celery and we planted it straight into pot full of Miracle Grow potting soil. It is now about 7 inches tall. Keep it watered everyday and for the first few weeks keep it out of full sun.
  • BarbaraPugh1
    BarbaraPugh1 Portland, OR
    Has anyone put protection around the plant, so it does get so dark green and will be milder tasting. I tried a tin can while it was small, but it got sunburned and a few leaves died. Someone told me to use PCV pipe. Now I just have to find or buy some of
  • Rosalie M
    Rosalie M Kingston, PA
    I started one at my sisters' house and within just a few days the center sprouted. She called me the other day and said it now has roots and she was transferring to a pot. We are excited about it actually working. Can't wait til it is a mature stalk.
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    celery, scallions, and now romaine lettuce, and no luck.
  • Zara
    Zara Mesa, AZ
    I love all the ideas here, I love trying new things even it if it doesn't work the 1st time. I actually had the entire front wall taken off my Arizona room so it is now an indoor outdoor room, plenty of light and shelter but the full sun can't get in but
  • Jane DeBow
    Jane DeBow Davenport, IA
    Barbara Pugh 1, perhaps you could try putting a milk jug over it for protection. That is what I use when I plant my tomatoes. I cut the bottom off and also the handle and after placing the milk jug over the plant I use the hole where I cut the handle off
  • Julie
    Julie Canada
    I remember my Mother in law using quart or 2 quart milk containers cut off at both ends for keeping the celery and romaine upright and light colored. I haven't tried it. I usually grow peas and beans and leaf lettuce.
  • Mary Ann Boone
    Mary Ann Boone Lexington, KY
    My romaine grew in water, but after a few weeks, it stopped growing. There was not enough to make a tiny salad. LOL!!
  • Karen Dries
    Karen Dries Hamburg, PA
    I have done this several times. Got one growing right now in fact, it does work
  • Butch Fertic
    Butch Fertic Kissimmee, FL
    I do this with my scallions remove the bottoms and replant them as well as my white onions and celery too.
Stockpiling Moms