Re-growing Celery from Celery

plants 07.08.15
Have you heard of Re-growing Celery from Celery?

I LOVE this idea for my garden! Did you know that you can grow another complete celery stalk from the bottom piece that you cut off and throw away? Cut off the end that you would normally "throw away" and then place it in a small dish filled with warm water.

Next "pot" the celery stalk (Stalk Side Up) or place in your garden. Just dig a small hole, fill it with water and set the end in the hole, then cover it up with an inch or so of soil. Water thoroughly. That is it! Now the "end" will grow into a full stalk of celery! Rinse and Repeat and you never have to buy celery again! Talk about a way to save money! This photo is taken on day 7 and as you can see it is working!

To see more: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2012/04/pinterest-pin-of-the-day-16/

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • DuAnn Beck-Tew
    DuAnn Beck-Tew Vicksburg, MS
    How long do you leave it in the small dish with warm water?
  • Penster47
    Penster47 Verona, MO
    Mine is about 3 inches tall just in the water, have to get it planted tomorrow.
  • BarbaraPugh1
    BarbaraPugh1 Portland, OR
    I think I will try it with fennel also. I have celery and bok choy started now.
  • Joline Cosman
    Joline Cosman Winooski, VT
    Welp, us CITYfolk, think this idear is swell !!!!! LOL I bet the farmers in our country would laugh at us !!! This is a great idea. Something we did when we were kids... for fun !!! Fresh celery in my tuna ??? PRICELESS. Literally !
  • Kelly B
    Kelly B Dover, DE
    I can't wait to try many of these diff. things, celery, scallions, lettuce, pineapple.. getting hungry and wanting a big salad now.
  • Rosalie M
    Rosalie M Kingston, PA
    Well, that is just too cool. I will have to try this. For those who haven't heard, you can keep celery in your refrigerator a lot longer if you keep it wrapped in tin foil. This really works. I've been doing this for about 6 months now. I used to have to
  • Janice Wolfe R
    Janice Wolfe R Cocoa, FL
    I am going to do this soon! I was raised on a farm in N.C. grew a lot of vegetables, nbever did celery. use to put potatoes in water, they produce beautiful yellow/ green plants!
  • Nicola G
    Nicola G New Britain, CT
    I learned about this on a blog called 17apart.com. Started one a couple of weeks ago--finally put it in potting soil yesterday--it's already about 5 inches tall (waited too long too plant it, but I don't think it'll be a problem). And my boyfriend saw
  • Barb P
    Ive done this many of times!!, An it realy works!! Happy gardening!! Barb P
  • Christy B
    Christy B Santa Barbara, CA
    This has happened when I used to have a compost bin. Fun! Thanks for the post!
  • Sylvia Ouellette
    Sylvia Ouellette Bedford, NH
    I'm doing this with scallions. I've already harvested a couple of times. It's wonderful!
  • Gardenjim70
    gardenjim70 North Bend, WA
    So great.. Mom used all these tricks to keep us entertained and understanding the cycle of life. Celery, carrots, bean seeds, sweet potato (she would thumb tack the vines all around the kitchen ceiling.. and then through the family room for us!. Such a
  • Tammie
    Tammie Connellsville, PA
    I planted one this morning!!
  • Kate Kyle
    Kate Kyle Somerset, NJ
    I did this with romain lettuce with same results
  • Patsy
    Patsy Destrehan, LA
    Isn't it true celery doesn't like heat? Can you grow the celery inside in a room with bright light? Thanks
Stockpiling Moms