Great Find for Covering Plants

plant stands 09.16.15
Good morning everyone. I was at Big Lots yesterday and came across a collapsible mesh laundry hamper for only $8. I decided it would be perfect for covering plants in containers or on the ground, to protect from birds, or from the Phoenix sunshine. It worked out great. I will check the dollar stores and see if I can maybe get more. The $8 one is a nice size, 16 inches in diameter. It even folds away when I don't need it!
  • This is the bag it comes in if you want to check your local Big Lots
  • Here it is popped open and upside down
  • on top of a large pot
  • completely covering plant all the way to the ground
  • ready to be tucked away!
  • Pattie Patterson
    Pattie Patterson Deltaville, VA
    Penster47, Does the cayenne pepper deter deer, too? I know it keeps dogs from digging in the ground, as I have used it for that purpose, and I have also used it to get rid of ants, mixed in a spray bottle. Both work great!
  • Debbie Borthwick
    Mothballs are poisonous and if you are going to use them, put them in a closed container with holes so pets & children don't mistake them for candy or a treat. If in your vegetable garden, as they break down, the chemicals could get into the vegetables.
  • Sheila D
    Sheila D Lecanto, FL
    If you need several hampers, try your local dollar store-sometimes they carry them
  • Pamela Foster
    Pamela Foster Mantua, OH
    Moth balls are a great deterrent. They sure would be for me, too~ Moth balls strategically placed keep out even skunks. They love getting under our side porch, which has only inches of access. We sling a few under there, and no skunk stink wafting into
  • HomeSpot HQ
    HomeSpot HQ Durham, NC
    Great idea!. It's so easy to set up and take down.
  • Kay Radebaugh
    Kay Radebaugh Greensboro, NC
    You can get them from the Dollar Stores and I have seen them cheaper at WalMart, KMart, etc.
  • LoEtta yaden
    LoEtta yaden Longview, WA
    Clever use in so many ways. Thank u for sharing. Love the idea
  • Robyn
    Robyn Phoenix, AZ
    oh you can use them for laundry? how cute! :) Wish we had a Rite Aid, I would buy all different sizes. Thanks Judy.
  • Judy Bond
    Judy Bond Sacramento, CA
    I'm taking one on my 10 day cruise for guess what? Dirty clothes...LOL But, love the idea for protecting plants another use. I found mine at Right Aid and they had them in different shapes.
  • Ed Balek
    Ed Balek New Baltimore, MI
    Squirrels will tear through metal screening, I don't see this stopping them.
  • Brenda
    Brenda West Warwick, RI
    I use these all the time for my caterpillars....I cover my milkweed and caterpillars inside the hamper until they become butterflies....then I take them out of the hamper and release them......I live in Ri, so it's only a summer thing....but I love it!!!
  • Robyn
    Robyn Phoenix, AZ
    wow, that is a neat idea too! Thanks BJ
  • BJ Ferland
    BJ Ferland Tallahassee, FL
    Robyn, these work very well as butterfly caterpillar nurseries also. Check out the web on this for full details. Good find!
  • Penster47
    Penster47 Verona, MO
    @Nina, try sprinkling ground cayenne pepper on the plants you don't want the squirrels or rabbits to eat on. You can even put it in the bird feeders that you want only the bird to eat out of, doesn't seem to bother them.
  • Robyn
    Robyn Phoenix, AZ
    Hahaha! :) Thanks Doug~~

Search Feedback