Great Find for Covering Plants

Cool Projects 03.08.15
Good morning everyone. I was at Big Lots yesterday and came across a collapsible mesh laundry hamper for only $8. I decided it would be perfect for covering plants in containers or on the ground, to protect from birds, or from the Phoenix sunshine. It worked out great. I will check the dollar stores and see if I can maybe get more. The $8 one is a nice size, 16 inches in diameter. It even folds away when I don't need it!
  • Vetsy
    Vetsy Spartanburg, SC
    what a smart Idea! Thanks for sharing..
  • Marilyn S
    Marilyn S Hermitage, TN
    best I have found from keeping the critters out of my plants in crushed or ground red pepper. They don't like the hot stuff.
  • Beth Padgett
    Beth Padgett Jacksonville, FL
    Sounds great!! Will have to check this out. Thanks for sharing
  • Yvonne McKinley
    Yvonne McKinley West Fork, AR
    Great idea, thanks.
  • Kathe With An E (Kathe)
    Well aren't you the smart one! What an awesome idea!
  • Robyn
    Robyn Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Kathe, boy they sure come in handy now. In Phoenix it is over 100 degrees every day already. It will stop this nonsense in October!
  • Sue M
    Sue M Duluth, GA
    Does the bag need to stay on the plant the entire season or can it be removed once it has matured?
  • Robyn
    Robyn Phoenix, AZ
    Hi Sue, It is really a mesh laundry hamper and totally see through and "air-through". I use it here in Phoenix when the sun is out all day with intensity in the summer. Today, since we have on and off sun, I am not using it. They weigh virtually nothing
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    this is a great idea for giving those plants a little shade in the summer and protection from frost in the winter. I would like to caution all of you who are using them to be very careful with them. The metal that allows it to pop open can go through the
  • Debbie Hill
    Debbie Hill Bidwell, OH
    My grandson and I use them to keep critter in while we play with them, frogs crickets lizards, little boys you know the drill.
  • Robyn
    Robyn Phoenix, AZ
    you are busy!
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    I use same like your's from Big Lots w/ 25% cpn to cover butterfly caterpillars and cocoons on parsley plants from birds to eat them.
  • Rosalie M
    Rosalie M Kingston, PA
    Wash your furniture first. Give the wood a light sanding to allow for "tooth". Wipe off the sanding dust. Tooth makes the wood easier to absorb the paint. Use a primer before you begin to paint your dark furniture. You will get a more professional finish.
  • Kathryn MacMillan
    Kathryn MacMillan Annandale, NJ
    Thank you, fantastic idea. I got an elasticated outdoor plastic table cloth cover for a buck at a yardsale, pretty floral pattern, I stretch it over my wheelbarrow, if I go in after dark and haven't finished gardening, I leave my gloves, tools and bags
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    I want to get some of the hampers to cover my veggies that are in pots. They will keep the white butterflies off my cabbage, brussels sprouts, brocolli etc. any plants in the cabbage family. The white butterflies lay eggs and when the catterpilers hatch
Robyn