Clawfoot tub to Chaise Lounge

furniture update 09.08.15
Of course I have seen Breakfast at Tiffanys and my hat goes off to the original tub couch creator! However, I of COURSE have to add my spin!I though long and hard about simply taking the front out to make it a love seat, but .. then .. when do I do things the simple way? It needed that added flare and I am re finishing a clients bedroom to feel french, so it was a MUST to have curves. Voila the new Chaise for her master bedroom bay window!
First and Foremost - do NOT TRY CUTTING OR WORKING WITH THIS unless you have proper protective equipment on! Glasses AND masks are a MUST!!!!!! Not only do you have to deal with potential lead in the paint, but also glass infused, fired on porcelain and chips flying everywhere! Very messy job! - Now - on to the fun part!
I have been waiting three years to find the perfect tub! I found this one at our local Habitat for Humanity Re-store.
I plotted my design early to match with a theme I was doing in a clients Master Bedroom. She had asked to find a sitting bench or something for her Bay Window * DING DING DING* I finally have a reason to make the Chaise I wanted to do.
I worked on cutting the tub forever with a grinder as I was told plasma cutting was to hard on Cast .... it was pretty easy, however very time consuming, so I sourced it out after I got the initial trial over with. If I had more time to poke away at it I would have, but too many things were piling up! Then the work involved came. It took forever to figure out how to smoothe the chips from the cutting, but upon talking to some local car boys and metal workers, the idea of bondo came up! Might as well give it a go! And it worked! paint paint paint and add fabric and ta daaaaaaaaaaa! BUENO! There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun!
Difficulty: Challenging
  • The finished look. Added the French themed fabric to add that tie together feel for the entire room. There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun!
  • A nice little compilation shot ideal for pinners. There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun!
  • Taking off the old flaky paint before priming and adding bondo.
  • Well, it didnt go Audrey Hepburn, but alittle Marilyn Monroe action sure did happen during the random fun photo shoot! I thought - oh what more fun way to show off DIY GRRRRRL power than to be in a party dress high heels and sparks!
  • Smoothed down with Bondo added! There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun!
  • Adding a kickstand to the back of the tub, just to make sure it doesnt tip from being weighted on one end. Thanks to Mark from Iron Craft for making me some custom iron curvy little kickstands!
  • Cutting cast iron coated in fired on porcelain is not a clean easy job.. it cracks and chips the finish and the only way I could come up with filling that in since smoothing it out didn't work was to use bondo for cars. And it worked
  • Full coats of paint. Now to move on to the cushion and fabric. My least fav part. Fabric and I never see eye to eye!
  • Now I took this shot before I painted it to show the colour variations and option for futre pieces, but this colour combo didn't fit well with the grand makeover of the bedroom I am working on.
  • Jossi
    Jossi Bradford, VT
    I saw this for sale on a furniture site and wondered what they used to cut the tub ? Here in Vermont, cast iron tubs are easy to come by. I just turned one down last weekend ! LOL
  • H Katherine P
    H Katherine P Ocala, FL
    Kuddos for the hard work! Very unique.
  • Sunny F
    Sunny F Camptonville, CA
    id love a pair in my back resistent and very classy.bravo
  • Tina C
    Tina C Riverside, CA
    Love the Chaise. "Tool Me". I'm really hoping to get all the Kreg Products for our Bathroom Redo. Thanks Hometalk for the wonderful inspiration
  • Clare J White
    Clare J White Portland, OR
    What a great way to put new purpose on an old item.
  • Karen Churn
    Karen Churn Warrensburg, MO
    I love this idea!
  • Sherry
    Sherry Battle Creek, MI
    It was yours to do with as you wanted. No one has the right to tell you different. This was an amazing makeover, and will probably be a wonderful conversation piece in someones living room rather than buried in a bathroom only being seen by the
  • Michele A
    So incredibly impressive! I agree, it is worth more this way. I have no use for a clawfoot tub, though I've always loved them, but I do love the couch!!! Excellent JOB! Woot Woot!
  • Amanda M
    Amanda M Newberg, OR
    This is pretty darn impressive!
  • Katie Wells
    Katie Wells Midland, TX
    I love this I almost bought a claw tub but all I could think of was to make it into a planter so thanks for ideas it is Awesome
  • Susan B
    Susan B Rock Falls, IL
    WOW........AMAZING WORK. YOU HIT IT GIRL!!!!!!!!
  • Building Moxie
    Building Moxie Baltimore, MD
    Now that's impressive! I admire your commitment ... wow!
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I'm jealous, I want one too! Yes claw foot tubs are beautiful but a full restoration would not have brought it back up to the value this beauty now has. Way to go.
  • Color It Simple
    Color It Simple Concord, NC
    way to think outside the box.....that is genius !!!! I love it. Great job
  • Sue A
    Sue A De Forest, WI
    I want, I want, I want!! This can't be the last claw foot tub on the planet, so I think it was worth sacrificing for a beautiful piece of furniture you'll use more often than if it stayed a bathtub! Great job:)
Gypsy Barn

Search Feedback