Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Dream Projects 08.07.14

Clawfoot tub to Chaise Lounge

Of course I have seen Breakfast at Tiffanys and my hat goes off to the original tub couch creator! However, I of COURSE have to add my spin!I though long and hard about simply taking the front out to make it a love seat, but .. then .. when do I do things the simple way? It needed that added flare and I am re finishing a clients bedroom to feel french, so it was a MUST to have curves. Voila the new Chaise for her master bedroom bay window!
First and Foremost - do NOT TRY CUTTING OR WORKING WITH THIS unless you have proper protective equipment on! Glasses AND masks are a MUST!!!!!! Not only do you have to deal with potential lead in the paint, but also glass infused, fired on porcelain and chips flying everywhere! Very messy job! - Now - on to the fun part!
I have been waiting three years to find the perfect tub! I found this one at our local Habitat for Humanity Re-store.
I plotted my design early to match with a theme I was doing in a clients Master Bedroom. She had asked to find a sitting bench or something for her Bay Window * DING DING DING* I finally have a reason to make the Chaise I wanted to do.
I worked on cutting the tub forever with a grinder as I was told plasma cutting was to hard on Cast .... it was pretty easy, however very time consuming, so I sourced it out after I got the initial trial over with. If I had more time to poke away at it I would have, but too many things were piling up! Then the work involved came. It took forever to figure out how to smoothe the chips from the cutting, but upon talking to some local car boys and metal workers, the idea of bondo came up! Might as well give it a go! And it worked! paint paint paint and add fabric and ta daaaaaaaaaaa! BUENO! There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at http://www.gypsybarn.com. Come join the fun!
Difficulty: Challenging
50 Comments Displaying 15 of 50 comments | See Previous
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    Thank you for all the lovely and motivational comments everyone! I got the Idea from Breakfast at Tiffany's when Audrey Hepburn was relaxing in one, but I just wanted to add my flare!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Diane Nikfar
    Diane Nikfar Palo Alto, CA
    Well done! :D
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    Thank you everyone! So motivational and appreciated!
  • Carol Richardson
    love it
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    This is far and beyond STUNNING!!!! Absolutely took my breath away!!! How dare you give me such ideas...lol...I am now staring at my old bath tub and the wheels have gone out of control!
  • Carol Richardson
    love it
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    HAHAHA Therese! Good luck! Its a LOT of hard hard work but it's worth it!
  • Sharon A
    Sharon A Wyoming, MI
    Have you ever seen the program ''Salvage Dawgs'' They did a sofa out of one of these old tubs...very creative ideas...especially when a lot of them end up as scrap... Way to go on the Chaise...love the idea.
  • Crystal Parish
    Crystal Parish Fort Dodge, IA
    I realy like refurbishing thing but I think the cushion could look alot better if it was tufted
    • Gypsy Barn
      Gypsy Barn Canada
      Crystal Parish probably. But Fabric is definitely not my forte. Plus - whoever wants the final product will likely change the fabric, so for now, she is simply this.
  • Dawn Price
    Dawn Price Baden, PA
    This is friggin awesome!
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    Thank you!
  • Gerry Rust
    Gerry Rust United Kingdom
    Where are all the comments lamenting the loss of a vintage bath? Only joking! This is an incredible makeover that obviously took a lot of time and effort but what a fabulous result.
  • OnlineFabricStore
    OnlineFabricStore West Springfield, MA
    This is awesome. Would love to feature a photo of this on our blog and link back to you (we carry this fabric). Let me know if that'd be ok :) Atiderman@onlinefabricstore.net -Abbey :)
  • AvonelleRed
    AvonelleRed Montgomery, AL
    I love this! The only thing I would do is get someone who is good at upholstery, because the cushion part is poorly done and looks like it was an afterthought. Very messy looking. Still, the tub itself is AMAZING.
Gypsy Barn