Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
04.18.13

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hi all! I'm had a bit of a problem cleaning this morning. I grew up with my mom using Murphy's Oil Soap on anything that even resembled wood. So I recently purchased some and washed my kitchen cabinets with no major problems. This morning I went on a little cleaning spree and mixed up some this soap in bucket and washed the wooden bedroom doors. A half hour later, I was walking past one of the doors and it had a horrible white film all over it!

These are the original doors and they do not have a nice glossy finish. Could this be why the soap caused a film? Does Murphy's need to be rinsed off? Has anyone else had this problem? #SpringCleaning

11 Comments Displaying 11 of 11 comments
  • Paola
    Paola Monroe, CT
    Hi Dana, Murphys oil It is not recommended for cleaning unfinished or waxed wood because the wood may be water-sensitive,I will suggest to go to their website and find out what to do.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I avoid Murphy's oil soap with a 10 foot pole...as should nearly everyone. In the floor re-finishing business this single product has lead to more "failures" than just about any thing...the next biggest culprit is silicone contaminates in "furniture"
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    You can use a tiny bit of soap and water, dry it! KMS is always on the mark! You are cleaning the finish and not the wood. The finish is protecting the wood, so you need to protect the finish. If you have ever stripped a piece of furniture, or wood
  • Dana T
    Dana T Latham, IL
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I found a store near me that sells the product KMS recommended. I'm going to give it a shot on the doors. If no luck, I guess it will just be that much more reason to completely refinish them!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Dana T about 1/2 of my home is done in hardwood. My living room and library are done in Bolivian Rosewood with an oil based poly finish, these are cleaned with a damp towel using plain 'ol
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I agree with KMS, about cleaning your floors. When you clean, you are cleaning the finish not the wood. You need to protect the finish. And remember the underneath of the floor isn't protected by the finish. Never use anything that has wax, vinegar,
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    KMS..great article! I would love to see your Brazilian Cherry Floors!

We installed wood flooring last weekend in my Mothers home. I think it's the hardest I have ever worked, ripping out carpet

• KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Sherrie here is a post I did recently on a Red Oak refinish job. I used oil based Varthane in satin. Oil base finishes POP the grain much better than water based.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    This turned out amazing! I love the tile and the pattern. I also love the stain you chose for your floors. The trim around it makes the whole room pop! And I thought I was the last of the last that still heat with wood. : )
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    The soapstone wood stove is in our master bed room, our bigger wood stove insert, is in the living room. The Jatoba in the bedroom is not stained ...that is its natural color, and it is very durable, Its janka rating is 2350 Which is about twice that of
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    it turned out beautiful! I would like to replace our hearth or I am going too sooner or later. I love the looks of yours, and I love the floor. If I could move any place else it would be Co. I lived there as a child, and last summer we spent several
Dana T
  • Likes

Judi Marychmie Dana Robinson

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!