Murphy's Oil Soap

01.25.15
Hi all! I'm had a bit of a problem cleaning this morning. I grew up with my mom using Murphy's Oil Soap on anything that even resembled wood. So I recently purchased some and washed my kitchen cabinets with no major problems. This morning I went on a little cleaning spree and mixed up some this soap in bucket and washed the wooden bedroom doors. A half hour later, I was walking past one of the doors and it had a horrible white film all over it!

These are the original doors and they do not have a nice glossy finish. Could this be why the soap caused a film? Does Murphy's need to be rinsed off? Has anyone else had this problem? #SpringCleaning

• Jeanne
    Jeanne Newfield, NJ
    What is KMS???

A guy who does hard wood floors, told us years ago...NEVER use Murphy's Oil soap...especially on wood floors...Just

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    it turned out beautiful! I would like to replace our hearth or I am going too sooner or later. I love the looks of yours, and I love the floor. If I could move any place else it would be Co. I lived there as a child, and last summer we spent several
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    The soapstone wood stove is in our master bed room, our bigger wood stove insert, is in the living room. The Jatoba in the bedroom is not stained ...that is its natural color, and it is very durable, Its janka rating is 2350 Which is about twice that of
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    This turned out amazing! I love the tile and the pattern. I also love the stain you chose for your floors. The trim around it makes the whole room pop! And I thought I was the last of the last that still heat with wood. : )
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Sherrie here is a post I did recently on a Red Oak refinish job. I used oil based Varthane in satin. Oil base finishes POP the grain much better than water based.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    KMS..great article! I would love to see your Brazilian Cherry Floors!

We installed wood flooring last weekend in my Mothers home. I think it's the hardest I have ever worked, ripping out carpet

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I agree with KMS, about cleaning your floors. When you clean, you are cleaning the finish not the wood. You need to protect the finish. And remember the underneath of the floor isn't protected by the finish. Never use anything that has wax, vinegar,
Dana T