Making Lightweight Hypertufa Planters

Outdoor Living 2 days ago
Last summer I made my first set of hypertufa planters.
They have the look of rough cement, but are quite lightweight and they are quite easy to make!

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND ON THE BLOG AT Making Hypertufa Containers
Warning - these are sort of addictive to make. You will find yourself making them in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
UPDATE - I have successfully made a hand! I tried it again after tweaking a few things and it worked this time. You can see it at Hypertufa Hands
Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss and Portland Cement and the main ingredients.
I used two disposable items for each planter.
Two bowls make a great mold. You could also use two boxes.
The mixture poured between the juice container and the pop cup.
After drying.
I also tried to make a hand using a glove as the mold, Would have been perfect to "hold" succulents, but I haven't perfected that one yet. The fingers are too thin and kept breaking off :(

To see more: http://www.houseofhawthornes.com/2012/05/making-hypertufa-containers.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Karen Lynn @Lil' Suburban Homestead
    I saw this done on a Martha Stewart show and I never could figure it out but I think I can do this :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Judy Hildebrant
    Judy Hildebrant Chicago, IL
    For a "mix" I know you say 1 part sand,1 part perlite, and 1 1/2 part cement , but approximately how much do you use? Is it 2 cups of mixture to 3 cups of cement? I've got the ratio down, but how much to make say a small planter?
  • Janet Botten
    When using vermiculite or perlite, make sure the product you're using is horticultural grade. Both vermiculite and perlite are used by the building trades and have been treated with chemicals that kill plants and aren't good for humans, either. Know
  • LIZ
    LIZ Sonoma, CA
    This is so gorgeous I won't share it on pinterest or anywhere! :) I can't wait to try. Thanks so much!
  • Janettey
    Janettey Mesa, AZ
    Maybe you can use the broken hand and fingers for Halloween!
House Of Hawthornes