Making Lightweight Hypertufa Planters

Garden DIY 11.15.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Last summer I made my first set of hypertufa planters. They have the look of rough cement, but are quite lightweight.

Supply list:

Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Portland Cement, Water, Cooking Spray (I used Pam), Large bucket or something to mix your ingredients in, Rubber gloves, Particle mask, Safety glasses, Various plastic or cardboard containers to use as molds

Wear your rubber gloves, particle mask and safety glasses!!! Portland cement can be nasty if inhaled, gets on your skin or in your eyes. Don't make me come over there and put them on you!

Mix equal parts of Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss and Portland cement. Add enough water to make it a cottage cheese like consistency.

Spray your containers with cooking spray and then fill the areas between the two items with the mixture.

Wrap your planters-to-be in a plastic garbage bag and patiently wait for them to harden. I let mine dry for 24 hours in the bag and then 4 days outside the bag.

• Some of my hypertufa planters
  • Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss and Portland Cement and the main ingredients.
  • I used two disposable items for each planter. You will be pouring the mixture between them so you want them to be different sizes.
  • Two bowls make a great mold. You could also use two boxes.
  • The mixture poured between the juice container and the pop cup.
  • After drying.
  • I tried to make a hand using a glove as the mold, Would have been perfect to "hold" succulents, but I haven't perfected that one yet. The fingers are too thin and kept breaking off :(

To see more:

• Karen Lynn @Lil' Suburban Homestead
    I saw this done on a Martha Stewart show and I never could figure it out but I think I can do this :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Judy Hildebrant
    Judy Hildebrant Chicago, IL
    For a "mix" I know you say 1 part sand,1 part perlite, and 1 1/2 part cement , but approximately how much do you use? Is it 2 cups of mixture to 3 cups of cement? I've got the ratio down, but how much to make say a small planter?
  • Janet Botten
    When using vermiculite or perlite, make sure the product you're using is horticultural grade. Both vermiculite and perlite are used by the building trades and have been treated with chemicals that kill plants and aren't good for humans, either. Know
  • LIZ
    LIZ Sonoma, CA
    This is so gorgeous I won't share it on pinterest or anywhere! :) I can't wait to try. Thanks so much!
  • Janettey
    Janettey Mesa, AZ
    Maybe you can use the broken hand and fingers for Halloween!
House Of Hawthornes

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post