Making Lightweight Hypertufa Planters

crafts 01.22.16
Last summer I made my first set of hypertufa planters. They have the look of rough cement, but are quite lightweight.

Supply list:

Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Portland Cement, Water, Cooking Spray (I used Pam), Large bucket or something to mix your ingredients in, Rubber gloves, Particle mask, Safety glasses, Various plastic or cardboard containers to use as molds

Wear your rubber gloves, particle mask and safety glasses!!! Portland cement can be nasty if inhaled, gets on your skin or in your eyes. Don't make me come over there and put them on you!

Mix equal parts of Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss and Portland cement. Add enough water to make it a cottage cheese like consistency.

Spray your containers with cooking spray and then fill the areas between the two items with the mixture.

Wrap your planters-to-be in a plastic garbage bag and patiently wait for them to harden. I let mine dry for 24 hours in the bag and then 4 days outside the bag.

To see more: http://www.houseofhawthornes.com/2012/05/making-hypertufa-containers.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Karen Lynn @Lil' Suburban Homestead
    I saw this done on a Martha Stewart show and I never could figure it out but I think I can do this :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Judy Hildebrant
    Judy Hildebrant Chicago, IL
    For a "mix" I know you say 1 part sand,1 part perlite, and 1 1/2 part cement , but approximately how much do you use? Is it 2 cups of mixture to 3 cups of cement? I've got the ratio down, but how much to make say a small planter?
  • Janet Botten
    When using vermiculite or perlite, make sure the product you're using is horticultural grade. Both vermiculite and perlite are used by the building trades and have been treated with chemicals that kill plants and aren't good for humans, either. Know
  • LIZ
    LIZ Sonoma, CA
    This is so gorgeous I won't share it on pinterest or anywhere! :) I can't wait to try. Thanks so much!
  • Janettey
    Janettey Mesa, AZ
    Maybe you can use the broken hand and fingers for Halloween!
House Of Hawthornes