Homemade Dishwasher Detergent {for spot-free dishes}

Before & After 23 hours ago
While cleaning out my kitchen for an upcoming move, I ran across the ingredients for homemade dishwasher detergent that had been sitting around unused.

The recipe is simple, the result is even better. It cleans your dishes and there won't be a residue left in the dishwasher.

What could be better.

All you need:

2 C. Borax

2 C. Baking Soda

6 oz. LemiShine (available at Target, Walmart, and most grocery stores)

Mix together. Use 1 T. per full load.

• Linda
    Linda Saint Johns, AZ
    Lemishine will take off any decals you have on your dishes. I had a Lipton tea cup that came out just a clear cup after washing it.
  • Cindy
    Cindy Converse, IN
    I make my own laundry soap and softer, very glad to add this to the list. Thanks.
  • Andrea S
    Andrea S Canada
    I can't vouch for Cascade. I have used nothing but Cascade so far and it leaves a white film on the glasses. This is why I am here, looking at this idea to make my own detergent. I will see how it works. I think when I used vinegar in the rinse the
    • Kathie taylor
      Kathie taylor Largo, FL
      Andrea S Used to have the same problem. A dishwasher repair man told a friend to use the Lemi Shine... it's wonderful! We also use jet dry...glasses shine!
    • Dee
      Dee Independence, IA
      Andrea S Hi I had the same problem and i started adding white vinegar to each load just poured it in the bottom and no more cloudy glasses.
  • Debi Bentley
    Debi Bentley Deming, WA
    I now make my own laundry detergent, and I am going to try this... Already using white vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser, am excited to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
  • Gay Storm
    Gay Storm Fresno, CA
    A capital T means Tablespoon - usually its Tbs., but T means the same thing.
  • Shelly Kingsley
    Shelly Kingsley Hendersonville, NC
    the lemon serves no actual cleaning purpose, correct? I have made my own for a long time and don't use it. The dishes come out fine.
  • Lilly Girard
    Lilly Girard West Branch, MI
    large T means tablespoon and small t is teaspoon or Tb tablespoon and tsp self explaining and im sure all knows this.about the larger abbreiviations
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    For those of us with hard water, the LemiShine is essential for spot-free dishes.
  • Sara Smith
    Sara Smith Scotts Valley, CA
    thank you for posting this recipe and for the comments above. I continually learn so much from everyone on Hometalk!
  • Sandy Bowlin
    Sandy Bowlin Gilbertsville, KY
    I'm definitely going to try this recipe and test an old spoon to see how the lemon affects it. If nothing else, I'll wash my silverware by hand as I do my pots and pans.
  • Kmmikkelson
    I made this and put it into a tupperware container. It has turned into a big rock! And of course, I made a double batch to use up all the Lemishine in the container. I am so disappointed and having to chip it off every time I wash a load in the
    • Shell Wilson
      Shell Wilson Chesapeake Beach, MD
      The Seasoned Homemaker a cheesecloth pouch filled with rice will accomplish the same goal - eliminate moisture, as the silicone packets...newspaper also absorbs residual moisture - excellent for your veggie/fruit drawers in the fridge!
  • Nancy J Goldwire
    Nancy J Goldwire Leander, TX
    I NEVER throw away those moisture absorbing cubes/capsules/packages. I use them in photo boxes or anything that I want to keep dry.
  • Tundeshe2
    tundeshe2 Schenectady, NY
    Can't I use washing soda instead of baking soda?
  • Lela
    Lela Mount Morris, IL
    ~This is the formula I have been using for over 2 yrs ( I made a Double Batch & it's lasted 2yrs.. I still have enough that should last another couple of months) .....**1 cup Washing Soda, 1 cup Baking Soda, 1 cup of Borax, & 1/2 cup Citric Acid ** After
  • Glenna
    Glenna Vancouver, WA
    I have used the Chrystal Light-Lemon when i thought the dw needed to be cleaned. Worked just fine.
The Seasoned Homemaker