Hometalk.com

04.05.14

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent {for spot-free dishes}

While cleaning out my kitchen for an upcoming move, I ran across the ingredients for homemade dishwasher detergent that had been sitting around unused.

The recipe is simple, the result is even better. It cleans your dishes and there won't be a residue left in the dishwasher.

What could be better.

All you need:

2 C. Borax

2 C. Baking Soda

6 oz. LemiShine (available at Target, Walmart, and most grocery stores)

Mix together. Use 1 T. per full load.

68 Comments Displaying 15 of 68 comments | See Previous
  • Pat Eidson Olathe, KS
    Irene! Any lemon additive ruins stainless steel. Silverware and dishwasher users beware!
  • Linda Saint Johns, AZ
    Lemishine will take off any decals you have on your dishes. I had a Lipton tea cup that came out just a clear cup after washing it.
  • Cindy Converse, IN
    I make my own laundry soap and softer, very glad to add this to the list. Thanks.
  • Andrea S Canada
    I can't vouch for Cascade. I have used nothing but Cascade so far and it leaves a white film on the glasses. This is why I am here, looking at this idea to make my own detergent. I will see how it works. I think when I used vinegar in the rinse the
  • Debi Bentley Deming, WA
    I now make my own laundry detergent, and I am going to try this... Already using white vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser, am excited to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
  • Gay Storm Fresno, CA
    A capital T means Tablespoon - usually its Tbs., but T means the same thing.
  • Shelly Kingsley Hendersonville, NC
    the lemon serves no actual cleaning purpose, correct? I have made my own for a long time and don't use it. The dishes come out fine.
  • Lilly Girard West Branch, MI
    large T means tablespoon and small t is teaspoon or Tb tablespoon and tsp self explaining and im sure all knows this.about the larger abbreiviations
  • For those of us with hard water, the LemiShine is essential for spot-free dishes.
  • Sara Smith Scotts Valley, CA
    thank you for posting this recipe and for the comments above. I continually learn so much from everyone on Hometalk!
  • Sandy Bowlin Gilbertsville, KY
    I'm definitely going to try this recipe and test an old spoon to see how the lemon affects it. If nothing else, I'll wash my silverware by hand as I do my pots and pans.
  • I made this and put it into a tupperware container. It has turned into a big rock! And of course, I made a double batch to use up all the Lemishine in the container. I am so disappointed and having to chip it off every time I wash a load in the
    • Kmmi One way to avoid this is to add one of those packages that absorb moisture - usually found in a box of shoes....
    • Beth Ross Campobello, SC
      Kmmi Put it in your food processor. It won't hurt it since it is dishwasher detergent.
  • Nancy J Goldwire Leander, TX
    I NEVER throw away those moisture absorbing cubes/capsules/packages. I use them in photo boxes or anything that I want to keep dry.