Hometalk.com

For the Garden 10.24.13

My little mini greenhouse

I've ran out of recycled containers to start my seedlings, so I decided to make these little mini greenhouses out of plastic drink cups.
36 Comments Displaying 15 of 36 comments | See Previous
  • Flash back to elementary school when we did a similar exercise.
  • Taunji H Cumming, GA
    Wonderful idea- just made tiny terrariums out of mason jars with all of our kids- this looks even easier and cheaper! thank you for sharing!
  • Diane Powder Springs, GA
    Have you tried using strawberry/grape tomato clear containers? You can use the large coffee filters to keep the soil from running out. Great way to plant early.
  • Amy M North Attleboro, MA
    Great idea!! I've also used newspaper to make a seed pot. Very easy.
  • Terri J York, PA
    I found more things growing in containers that were left in the shed - My beat up, used shed has become the ideal green house.
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Amy, do you mean you made a pot out of the newspaper? How did you keep it from becoming a soggy mess?
  • Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    Here's a nice description on how to make newspaper pots

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-...

• Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks Walter. That's pretty cool. I will have to try that.
  • Angel B Cattaraugus, NY
    you can also use water bottles but of course now they are recycleable so
  • Sandra A Broaddus, TX
    You can also plant in toilet tissue & paper towel rolls (cut into 3 or 4 pieces), just stuff a wadded up piece of newspaper in one end & fill with soil & plant. When it's time to put into the garden, just unroll it or plant the entire roll.
  • Theresa B Oxford, MS
    I am a teacher and use the plastic cupcake boxes that the kids bring in holding their birthday cupcakes.
  • Carol Kittanning, PA
    I save plastic cups and I have a dremmel. I could make this work on my narrow East facing windowsills. I,m excited. Snow, cold and sinus infection have me longing for Spring and getting back into the dirt again. I am driving my house plant nuts, fussing
  • Dr2361 Lancaster, CA
    Is there any outgassing from the plastic in the sun to the new plants?
  • Les Golladay Albuquerque, NM
    I start with seeds to grow everything I've grown. But when i use the clear/cloudy plastic cups. The sun turns the dirt green where plastic touches dirt(all arouncup). and stunted the baby plants growth because the green is from the nutrients consumed
  • Les Golladay Albuquerque, NM
    Last year I started use 8 X 12 approx tins pans. Fill with dirt and plant seeds in rows about four rows and 8 seeds per row(32 per tin. Then I put in plastic bags from veg dept at grocery storeAND WATER ONCE... BAG KEEPS DIRT WET, DON'T HAVE TO KEEP