I have this thing growing up through an azelia. I know it has to go, but (esp. @Walter Reeves) what IS it? Anybody?

It looks kind of like a holly of some sort, but the leaves are more broad than any holly I've seen! Also, if you know what it is, just what are those berries going to do? Flower? Change color? Stain my clothes?
  • Jason
    Jason Marietta, GA
    Okay, okay! After enough of you have gushed over the beautiful mahonia, I'm not sure I'm just going to kill it off. Maybe there's a corner of the yard that could use a new plant. If anyone is in the Smyrna, Powder Springs, Marietta area and would like
  • Naomi J
    Naomi J Atlanta, GA
    Mahonia, the birds will clean off those berries in a matter of days
  • Patsy W
    Patsy W Smyrna, GA
    Mahonia...just move it.
  • Sue M
    Sue M Madison, AL
    Yes, it is mahonia bealei. They are really lovely. Maybe you can move it to a place of its own.
  • Darene P
    Darene P Knoxville, TN
    It is a leatherleaf mahonia. I think they're just beautiful. They grow really large, and have sharp points on the leaves like holly. I wish I could come dig it up for you. I'd bring it home with me. I love them.
  • Julie F
    Julie F Noblesville, IN
    I live in central IN & have this weed coming up every year, it get's 7' tall
  • Patricia W
    Patricia W Somersworth, NH
    Always wanted one but it is marginally hardy where I live.
  • Patricia W
    Patricia W Somersworth, NH
    Known as Grape Holly 'round here.
  • Jhowell H
    Jhowell H Ocala, FL
    i don,tknow,but its beautiful.
  • Laura S
    Laura S Pine Lake, GA
    Mahonia. You should move it to a place where you don't have to brush by it. It has very fierce stickers, but the smell of the flowers is heavenly.
  • Lisa D
    Lisa D Asheville, NC
    My grandad has 10 or more of these they are pretty and easy to care for, the berries just fall off and songbirds seem to love landing on this plant as it gets larger.
  • Gladys H
    Gladys H Maggie Valley, NC
    Cool find.... I had to buy mine! Birds eat the berries and deposit the seeds. Cool freebie!!
  • Beth A
    Beth A Newton, AL
    It is a mahonia belei. I'll take it!!
  • Jason
    Jason Marietta, GA
    Thanks, everyone! Margaret was quick on the draw, but the information from Cultivators Design is very helpful. Even though it likely won't persist in my yard, I prefer a thorough understanding of what I'm keeping and what I'm eliminating before I take
  • Cultivators Design and Landscape
    "Soft Caress" Mahonia is a nice one!
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post