How do you get rid of nut grass permanently?

03.25.15
We have a problem with nut grass. (My mother bought dirt from a nursery and it was in the dirt) We pull it and its back in back in a week. She has used Roundup and it doesnt work. She bought a " nutgrass killer selective herbicide" by a company called Monterey this also had no effect. As you can see from pics below.
  • Alisa W
    Alisa W Huntsville, TX
    I can tell you what doesn't work...I have it around my rose garden. News paper and mulch does not work. I saw it on Pintrest and tried it. Weeds still came through, especially the nut grass. I tried the weed killer designed for it and was not impressed.
  • Phyllis W
    Phyllis W Saint Pauls, NC
    I am convinced that if we could find a good use for it - Nutgrass tea, Nutgrass mats, Nutgrass salad, It would be suddenly scarse. I keep working on this concept but keep pulling and digging out the 'nut'. Wet ground is easiest. Good luck Kathy.
  • Debra D
    Debra D Katy, TX
    About 15 years ago, I had the same problem from a dirt yard. They also claimed no responsibility. I tried all of the above and nothing got rid of it. In the "off" season, I dug up the whole bed about a foot deep when it was soft and sifted all the stupid
  • Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    When I had it I had to pull it all out and use round-up on the area. You can plant 2 weeks after round-up is used.
  • GA Kimball
    GA Kimball Billings, MT
    Move!
  • Kathy Devencenzi
    Kathy Devencenzi Stockton, CA
    Thank you for all your advice and tip I will keep all of you posted with the outcome.
  • Sally B
    Sally B Sun City Center, FL
    I too battle this grass and found the best practice is to use a spade and run it deep enough to pull out the entire root. If you pull on it and just the grass comes up I found that it will multiply on you. I don't cover anything in black plastic anymore
  • Mary Tonningsen
    Mary Tonningsen Antelope, CA
    Is Nut Grass the same as Nut Sedge? If so, my understanding is that they thrive on water (especially over-watering) and it grows like crazy by my pond. If yours is in an area where you can let it really dry out for a long time, that might do the trick.
  • Judy
    Judy Grants Pass, OR
    Heather is on the right track but I'd suggest pulling the nut grass before putting down the plastic then covering it with a layer of mulch. The lack of water & light will kill most any plant.
  • Kathy
    Kathy Norway, SC
    My grandfather, who was a farmer, said the only way to get rid of nutgrass is to MOVE! We have a really good crop of it every year, sorry to say....
  • Heather (New House New Home)
    Depending on how much room there is around the other plants, I would suggest putting black garbage bags over the nut grass. The heat and lack of light should kill anything under the plastic. I use this method to kill of any grass when I'm building new
  • Tammy@Deja Vue Designs
    The best way I have found to get rid of nut grass....is to soak the area really well...and slowly pull them up. If you pull slowly they won't break...and you'll get the roots and all. I have completely cleaned out a bed that was covered up in nut
  • Gardens By Design, LLC
    Nutgrass is one of THE most difficult weeds to treat in the landscape. Here is a link to a two pronged attack that has proved effective in Goergia. http://www.ehow.com/how_6510287_kill-nut-gra... Good luck!
  • Judy
    Judy Grants Pass, OR
    I've battled it too. My MIL sent me some plants from her garden including some "ornamental" grass. I took one look at it & said "That's Nut Grass! Take it to the burn pile & burn it!". Too late, it's been coming up in the spot where it laid ever since.
  • Karen Goddik
    Karen Goddik Dayton, OR
    We farm, and this is the hardest weed to control. Even in my garden, I too, pull and pull and pull. Stay on top of it and maybe you could slow it down with putting bender board around the area. It is the little nut on the end of the roots, thus the name
Kathy Devencenzi