Trench Planting Tomatoes

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
This is the first year that I'm planting my tomatoes in a trench rather than vertically. I have read that this method will allow the root system have more area to grow. I also upcycled a few milk jugs as a way to get the water to the roots without having to go through the soil. The milk jugs were cleaned and have small holes poked through to let the water go directly to the roots. These tomato plants are two Early Girls and a Celebrity. I can't wait to see what they yield! I also planted a little basil around them because basil makes the tomatoes taste better.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Good luck with your experiment. Keep us posted on how it goes.
  • Abi
    Abi El Paso, TX
    Directions please. Gardening teacher with summer off. Would like to duplicate. Thanks.
  • Virginia Davis
    Virginia Davis Stanford, MT
    I will definitely be following your progress with these! I planted mine really deep, in raised rows, so I am hoping for a better root system as well. Great idea on the milk jug, I plan on adding some watering spots in my rows like that.
  • Jim G
    Jim G Suffolk, VA
    So you simply put Milk jugs with a couple small holes in the bottom into the soil and let the water slowly feed the roots. I like that, especially for times when we wont be home a couple days. I'll do teh same this evening! In top feeder and in the ground.
  • Gary Stenzel
    Gary Stenzel Fort Myers, FL
    I have had great luck with digging deeper or the trench method. I just use a post hole digger and make them really deep. the roots will grow wherever the stem is under the soil.
Alysha Slater

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post