Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
For the Garden 05.30.13

Trench Planting Tomatoes

This is the first year that I'm planting my tomatoes in a trench rather than vertically. I have read that this method will allow the root system have more area to grow. I also upcycled a few milk jugs as a way to get the water to the roots without having to go through the soil. The milk jugs were cleaned and have small holes poked through to let the water go directly to the roots. These tomato plants are two Early Girls and a Celebrity. I can't wait to see what they yield! I also planted a little basil around them because basil makes the tomatoes taste better.
4 Comments Displaying 4 of 4 comments
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Good luck with your experiment. Keep us posted on how it goes.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Abi
    Abi El Paso, TX
    Directions please. Gardening teacher with summer off. Would like to duplicate. Thanks.
  • Virginia Davis
    Virginia Davis Stanford, MT
    I will definitely be following your progress with these! I planted mine really deep, in raised rows, so I am hoping for a better root system as well. Great idea on the milk jug, I plan on adding some watering spots in my rows like that.
  • Jim G
    Jim G Suffolk, VA
    So you simply put Milk jugs with a couple small holes in the bottom into the soil and let the water slowly feed the roots. I like that, especially for times when we wont be home a couple days. I'll do teh same this evening! In top feeder and in the ground.
Alysha Slater
  • Likes

Denise Chris J Barb Rosen