Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
07.26.14

How do I clean mold out of a window air conditioner?

I stored a window air conditioner in an outside shed over the winter. I guess it got damp in there. When I took it out of the shed to install in my window this spring, I saw that there was quite a bit of black mold on and in the a/c unit. What is the best way to clean it and get rid of the mold?
6 Comments Displaying 6 of 6 comments
  • Rosalie M
    Rosalie M Kingston, PA
    It was always my understanding that Clorox removed mold. You should try a solution of warm water and bleach and wipe the air conditioner down with that. If the solution didn't work, I would try straight Clorox. It won't hurt it.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Miles Enterprises Inc.
    i agree with Rosalie M i would put a ltle bleach with a glass cleaner so the unit does not smell like bleach .
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    One thing with a window unit it is easy to clean.

Put it on a set of saw horses so your not bending over. Put this perhaps on the driveway because cleaners and lots of water

• Jay Taylor
    Jay Taylor Santa Ana, CA
    Just like any other appliance in your place, the window AC also needs tender love and care. Make sure to give it a thorough cleaning at least once a year: Air conditioners work more efficiently when the evaporator and condenser coils or cooling fins are
    @ Jay Taylor. He is spot on with this. I cannot tell you how many times people call us to service their window units because they think it needs to be charged. The fact is the blower fan, which is quite small considering the amount of air it blows is
Howard Greene
  • Like

Rosalie M

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!