Painting a Barn Quilt for Your Garden Shed

BEING CREATIVE 07.16.15
My mother is a quilter and for her birthday I made her abarn quilt square to hang on my father's shed that overlooks their back yardand garden. Living in the south we see large quilt squares on barns on farms but I thought itwould be great to make a small one for my mom. I couldn't find any directions onmaking one but figured it out with out too much trouble.

First pick out a pattern that is special to your family. Itcould be a quilt that is in your family or just one you like. I wanted a TexasStar since my mother is from Texas. Then pick out your colors. I used rustoleum latex paints but you can havepaints mixed up if you want. Home Depot and Lowes will cut plywood for you. Iused a 3' x 3' plywood square. They sellsmall squares so look for those to save money. Here is my shopping list:

Plywood

3" foam roller and tray

painters tape (recommend frog tape)

Time: 2 Days Cost: $75 Difficulty: Moderate
  • My supplies
  • measuring the design
  • Get the family involved. They love it.
  • taping the sections off. the blue painters tape bled a little so recommend frogtape
  • rolling the clear coat on
  • Hanging in it's new home!
  • Texas Star

To see more: http://lovethegiver.com/2013/04/painting-a-barn-quilt-for-my-momma/

• Lynne
    Lynne Sulphur Springs, TX
    Going to put one on my 1920 brick garage with metal doors!
  • Quilterbee1953
    quilterbee1953 Wellsboro, PA
    That is Beautiful & It looks Wonderful on the shed!!
  • Mimi
    Mimi Sanford, NC
    Awesome!!!
  • Deb Zahn
    Deb Zahn Marshfield, WI
    I would like to do this with a pic of the front of my hubbys 69 chevelle! For his shed! Any ideas??
    • Katey
      Katey Huntsville, AL
      You could do it! Just simple lines to keep it large enough to see. Great idea. He will love it.
  • Judith Sarrie
    Judith Sarrie El Cajon, CA
    I'm an advid quilter and I have a shed a painted quilt design wuld look great on it.
Katey