Painting a Barn Quilt for Your Garden Shed

murals 02.08.15
My mother is a quilter and for her birthday I made her abarn quilt square to hang on my father's shed that overlooks their back yardand garden. Living in the south we see large quilt squares on barns on farms but I thought itwould be great to make a small one for my mom. I couldn't find any directions onmaking one but figured it out with out too much trouble.

First pick out a pattern that is special to your family. Itcould be a quilt that is in your family or just one you like. I wanted a TexasStar since my mother is from Texas. Then pick out your colors. I used rustoleum latex paints but you can havepaints mixed up if you want. Home Depot and Lowes will cut plywood for you. Iused a 3' x 3' plywood square. They sellsmall squares so look for those to save money. Here is my shopping list:

Plywood

3" foam roller and tray

painters tape (recommend frog tape)

Time: 2 Days Cost: $75 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://lovethegiver.com/2013/04/painting-a-barn-quilt-for-my-momma/

• Lois Testerman
    Lois Testerman New Bern, NC
    Very Very Nice !! A true work of art with love.
  • E. R. Andrews
    E. R. Andrews Waller, TX
    Just absolutely beautiful and the right quilt to make
  • Kathy Turner
    Kathy Turner Denton, TX
    Great job! Just love quilt designs.
  • Katherinececil102
    A work of true love!!

• Nancy S
    Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    An absolutely beautiful place to call home. IT looks like a haven for birds and oneself and how to get lost in daydreaming. Loving this look.. thank you..
  • Teresa Lindstrom
    Teresa Lindstrom Freeport, IL
    Great job! It is beautiful!
  • Colleen
    Colleen Fargo, ND
    Well done.
  • Sandy Wright
    Another snow day off school, I am so making this. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Janine
    Janine Centralia, WA
    My husband and I went on a road trip 2 summers ago to see family in Iowa and Minnesota. We saw several barn quilts on barns as we drove. We thought we would take another trip with a map in hand of where the barn quilts are located around the State of Utah.
    • Katey
      Katey Huntsville, AL
      They are hard to find! A map would be good! I did this in Wisconsin.
  • Sandy Wright
    Well here is a picture of my attempt at a Barn Quilt Block. Made it for Mom's 85th birthday. She loved it.
    • Katey
      Katey Huntsville, AL
      Great job! Love it.
  • Lynne
    Lynne Sulphur Springs, TX
    Going to put one on my 1920 brick garage with metal doors!
  • Quilterbee1953
    That is Beautiful & It looks Wonderful on the shed!!
  • Mimi
    Mimi Sanford, NC
    Awesome!!!
  • Deb Zahn
    Deb Zahn Marshfield, WI
    I would like to do this with a pic of the front of my hubbys 69 chevelle! For his shed! Any ideas??
    • Katey
      Katey Huntsville, AL
      You could do it! Just simple lines to keep it large enough to see. Great idea. He will love it.
  • Judith Sarrie
    Judith Sarrie El Cajon, CA
    I'm an advid quilter and I have a shed a painted quilt design wuld look great on it.
Katey