Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 04.06.14

Painting a Barn Quilt for Your Garden Shed

My mother is a quilter and for her birthday I made her abarn quilt square to hang on my father's shed that overlooks their back yardand garden. Living in the south we see large quilt squares on barns on farms but I thought itwould be great to make a small one for my mom. I couldn't find any directions onmaking one but figured it out with out too much trouble.

First pick out a pattern that is special to your family. Itcould be a quilt that is in your family or just one you like. I wanted a TexasStar since my mother is from Texas. Then pick out your colors. I used rustoleum latex paints but you can havepaints mixed up if you want. Home Depot and Lowes will cut plywood for you. Iused a 3' x 3' plywood square. They sellsmall squares so look for those to save money. Here is my shopping list:

Plywood

3" foam roller and tray

painters tape (recommend frog tape)

Time: 2 Days Cost: $75 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://lovethegiver.com/2013/04/painting-a-barn-quilt-for-my-momma/

107 Comments Displaying 15 of 107 comments | See Previous
  • Margi Batavia, NY
    This is beautiful. They're also popular up here in Western NY. You see many in the rural areas. Thanks for sharing.
  • Carolyn_conway Independence, MO
    Stunning!
  • Rosalind Duran San Jose, CA
    great idea!
  • Trish Vicksburg, MI
    Beautifully done. Fits nicely above the shed door. You've got talent!
  • What a loving and talented daughter you . Congrats to your Mom & Dad
  • Very Very Nice !! A true work of art with love.
  • E. R. Andrews Waller, TX
    Just absolutely beautiful and the right quilt to make
  • Kathy Turner Denton, TX
    Great job! Just love quilt designs.
  • A work of true love!!

• Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    An absolutely beautiful place to call home. IT looks like a haven for birds and oneself and how to get lost in daydreaming. Loving this look.. thank you..
  • Teresa Lindstrom Freeport, IL
    Great job! It is beautiful!
  • Colleen Fargo, ND
    Well done.
  • Another snow day off school, I am so making this. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Janine Centralia, WA
    My husband and I went on a road trip 2 summers ago to see family in Iowa and Minnesota. We saw several barn quilts on barns as we drove. We thought we would take another trip with a map in hand of where the barn quilts are located around the State of Utah.
  • Well here is a picture of my attempt at a Barn Quilt Block. Made it for Mom's 85th birthday. She loved it.