Hometalk.com

Fertilizer Tips & Tricks That Work For Me.

With a 3 to 3 1/2 month growing season here in northern Minnesota, I have to help my blooms with a little fertilizer. This is what has worked consistently for me.

To see more: http://organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com/2013/06/fertilizer-tips-tricks-that-work-for-me.html

27 Comments Displaying 15 of 27 comments | See Previous
  • Nancy Murray Augusta, GA
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Organized Clutter International Falls, MN
    This is just what I do. If you would rather use organic fertilizer or compost that's good too. I am encouraged that so many of you are environmentally concerned. If I were growing vegetables, I'm sure I would use organic products exclusively.
  • Ronnie Pennington Hamburg, AR
    Your flower bed is beautiful!!! Stan & Becky, I would be careful with the "chicken poop". Exposure to chicken liter can cause a lung fungus to develop. It is common is poultry farmers, but, my mother developed it from using chicken manure on her garden.
    Thanks Ronnie.
  • Lois D Ridgway, PA
    It is a chemical fertilizer that goes into the water system. Better to use good compost on gardens.
  • I only use organic fertilizers. Never use chemicals - inside or out. Have great soil with loads of microrganisms & worms. Make most of my own compost & buy the rest with microorganisms. Miracle Grow is one of the worst you can use.
  • Ilona French Painesville, OH
    This is surprising to me. So what is a good organic fertilizer?
  • Milorganite is an old tried and true organic fertilizer. Read where it is used in Williamsburg Gardens as it has the added advantage of discouraging deer. It is now safe to use on vegetables as well.
  • I like to bury all my leftover green groceries and wait a year to dig it back up and use it in my garden. Free and little effort involved.
  • Lisa B Shakopee, MN
    Your results are just lovely. Especially for 'Up North'. I too, used to used the blue stuff. Miracle grow now makes a liquid organic fertilizer. I now use it outside all the time, I still have a little blue stuff left I am using up on houseplants, and
    Good to know.
  • Danni B Willard, MO
    These are some great tips Carlene! Thanks for sharing them!
    Thanks Danni.
  • Donna McFarland Sanford, FL
    Miracle gro?Think- MONSANTO ...Round up ~poison!JUST SAY "NO"!!
  • Cynthia O Black River Falls, WI
    Miracle grow works great for me!

I am up North too, and we have so much less time to get our gardens a going.