• Marianne P
    Milorganite is an old tried and true organic fertilizer. Read where it is used in Williamsburg Gardens as it has the added advantage of discouraging deer. It is now safe to use on vegetables as well.
  • Ilona French
    Ilona French Painesville, OH
    This is surprising to me. So what is a good organic fertilizer?
  • Sharon C
    I only use organic fertilizers. Never use chemicals - inside or out. Have great soil with loads of microrganisms & worms. Make most of my own compost & buy the rest with microorganisms. Miracle Grow is one of the worst you can use.
  • Lois D
    Lois D Ridgway, PA
    It is a chemical fertilizer that goes into the water system. Better to use good compost on gardens.
  • Organized Clutter
    Organized Clutter International Falls, MN
    Thanks Ronnie.
  • Ronnie Pennington
    Ronnie Pennington Hamburg, AR
    Your flower bed is beautiful!!! Stan & Becky, I would be careful with the "chicken poop". Exposure to chicken liter can cause a lung fungus to develop. It is common is poultry farmers, but, my mother developed it from using chicken manure on her garden.
  • Organized Clutter
    This is just what I do. If you would rather use organic fertilizer or compost that's good too. I am encouraged that so many of you are environmentally concerned. If I were growing vegetables, I'm sure I would use organic products exclusively.
  • Nancy Murray
    Nancy Murray Augusta, GA
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Sfg4u Kim Roman
    sfg4u Kim Roman Glen Burnie, MD
    There are SO many organic options available in the stores and you can even make your own compost tea. Things like MiracleGro will give you an initial boost, but will build up chemicals and salts in your garden and seep into the ground water. I hope
  • Stan N Becky King
    Stan N Becky King Portland, OR
    Mine are doing just great with our chicken poop and pine pellets mix in the soil.. we are all ready getting tomatoes this year... And our strawberries double in size ...
  • Mrs P
    you do not feed the plants!!!! you should make shure you have good compost in the soil you feed the soil organicly then you have good plants!!!!
  • Pamela Mines
    Pamela Mines Joliet, IL
    Thanks so much for these tips! I am about to plant knockout roses and lilies. Will definitely use these tips on these as well as my already established blooms!
  • Andrea R
    Andrea R Westminster, CA
    May I suggest that instead of the blue chemical fertilizer, you try fish and/or kelp emulsion instead? The blue stuff will work great at first but over time will kill off beneficial soil microbes -- each year your plants will begin to decline, have a
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    If you are an organic gardener, you won't use this type of fertilizer. The results are wonderful on the surface, however, because these are created with chemicals, you are killing off the microbes and worms in your soil So each year you have to use more
Organized Clutter