Mopping a slate floor

How to's: 06.19.15
What is the best way to mop a slate floor? What cleaning solution should we use? We have slate tiles in the kitchen with concrete mortar. You can see from the pictures that the surfaces of the slate tiles are uneven. They are also porous (water dripped on them is absorbed). I sweep regularly, which isn't easy because of the uneven surfaces. I have mopped once with a Swiffer Wet Jet but I'm not sure whether that's OK to use repeatedly.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Nilda Braren you can post a pic by clicking on the "add photos" link below the text box.
  • Antares
    Antares Vergennes, VT
    Where is the add photos button?
  • Pickles
    DO NOT use any type of cleaner that has an acid base (even natural types, such as vinegar). This will damage your floor and may result in costly repair or replacement.
  • Paula Edmonds
    Paula Edmonds Colbert, WA
    Our kitchen slate floor is similar to yours. I use a damp mop -not soaking wet- with a bucket of Pinsol. In between deep cleaning I use the Swiffer Wet Jet. Our problem is the grout between crumbles and has been replaced 3 times. Every time new grout is
  • Keziah
    Keziah Kamuela, HI
    I have black slate tile in my solarium.I would like it to have the color and shine a black licorice. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to get this look?
Melissa G
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post