Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Something is eating my collard, cabbage and pepper leaves. Any idea what it is and how I can stop it?

04.06.14
My dad, who is doing the gardening, has resorted to putting some type of white power on them. So that is what you see in the photo. I am not sure of the name at present.
31 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 20 of 31 comments | See Previous
  • Diane B
    Diane B Columbus, IN
    Seven Dust, and there is also a Seven Liquid, takes care of critters that eat broad leaf plants.
  • Mary T
    Mary T Janesville, WI
    Have you seen any green "inch" worms on these? And sticky lumps of greenish bug poop (frass)? Probably cabbage looper.
  • Cliff K
    Cliff K Redwood City, CA
    Becky H. I don't know. I would say try it. My garden is always in flex and an ongoing experiment. I am trying to keep my garden organic as much as I can because I eat the harvest from the garden. The baking soda is an Amish method. Research the Amish
  • Pat S
    Pat S Greenfield, MA
    Probably slugs and snails chewing on the leaves, put dried crumbled eggshells around the plants and they can't crawl over them.
  • Susan M
    Susan M San Bernardino, CA
    I am no expert, if you look at it early in the morning when pest eat you might be able to tell what is eating it .
  • LaTrelle F
    LaTrelle F Atlanta, GA
    Lisa D (Asheville, NC) - actually I have seen one or two white butterflies, that my dad calls "something", but I can't understand what he is exactly saying [he is 92], but he complains about them flying around
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      LaTrelle F Those white moths are probably cabbage moths, part of your problem. They lay their eggs on your cabbage and hence the worms. I always recommend using BT since I'm an
    • Johanne Clerie
      Catherine Smith what exactly is BT?
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    Some people call them "skippers". They are laying eggs on the plant leaves...and the eggs will quickly become caterpillars.
  • LaTrelle F
    LaTrelle F Atlanta, GA
    Thanks so much Walter and Lisa D. I got the BT this weekend and am giving it a try.
  • Cathy Rodriguez
    Cathy Rodriguez Lansing, MI
    Baking soda will kill the plants I have been using it around my pool to kill weeds, because the baking soda will not hurt the pool other then changing the PH, it changes the PH of the soil so that plants will not grow. I would not use it round a place
  • Tammy T
    Tammy T Spokane, WA
    Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate. Sodium is salt. Plants don't do well in salted soil. I would not recommend it on plants you want
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Ladies, you would have to use baking soda by the tractor trailer load in order to effect either ph or the salinity of the soil. Baking soda is a great way to "sweeten" an area that is very acidic and no it's not that kinda "salt" chemically speaking.
    • Cathy Rodriguez
      Cathy Rodriguez Lansing, MI
      Catherine Smith That is funny, I have used less then 10 pounds, on the rock edging that is 2 1/2 foot wide, all the way around my 40 X 19 foot pool, it killed all the existing
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      Cathy Rodriguez You're talking apples and oranges there. Chemically the reaction of baking soda with water is different from the way it reacts with soil. It's very possible
  • Cathy Rodriguez
    Cathy Rodriguez Lansing, MI
    You are the one that said it takes truck loads, and it does not, and it is not apples and oranges. I would not use it any where near soil I wanted to continue to grow in. That is my choice, as it is yours. The weeds were all kinds, crab grass, prickers,
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I use to be all chemicals because I worked so hard on my garden. Now I have learned many things. One thing I do is rotate my garden every year. This really helps. Then I get up early and pick off the worms and brush off the leaves. I only use natural bug
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen Lansdale, PA
    This is a greatposting, and last summer my Cabbage and Collards looked just like these pix-ugh. Glad to see what it is and solutions. Thank you !
  • Cindy tustin
    Cindy tustin Arcadia, KS
    WE have always used wood ash on cabbage I am 66 yrs old and learned this from my grandmother. I lightly mist the plants and sprinkle wood ash on them. Realize everyone doesn't have access to ash. Maybe you know someone that has a fireplace I sift the ash
LaTrelle F

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing