Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 04.13.14

Deck and Outdoor Living Tuna Can Lantern

Inexpensive and easy way to make DIY outdoor lighting by re-purposing a tuna can. A dowel, paint or old broom stick, wood screw, copper fitting, and a thrift store glass hurricane is all that is needed. Simply drill a hole in the can and dowel to attach the dowel/paintstick and spray paint it. Once the paint is dry add the glass hurricane. Cost- $5.00
97 Comments Displaying 15 of 97 comments | See Previous
  • Maria Rivera Lake Worth, FL
    LOVE this recyclable idea! Awesome looking.
  • Small Talk Mama Kansas City, MO
    very clever and doesn't look a bit like a recycled tuna can. Going to make some of these. Thanks for sharing
  • Charlotte MacDiarmid Manassas, VA
    I agree with Chris R. about using this idea as a Christmas decoration. My husband made several of these and we put some greenery and a red bow on them. Used them along our sidewalk leading from our front step. They looked so pretty and we got lots of
  • Rebecca D Dearborn, MI
    My Sunday project!
  • CLS Wasilla, AK
    Great idea - an indoor/outdoor "flameless candle" would look nice too, I think.
  • Patty Graham Vero Beach, FL
    Don't understand about the copper fitting???Looked at picture and couldn't tell where it is. Was it painted black??Do you have pictures of how to put this together??
  • Dorene H Lehigh Acres, FL
    very nice idea.. thanks for sharing
  • Linda P Huntsville, AL
    So interesting--my friend made these 30 years ago for her daughters wedding reception. They really are pretty and for Christmas, greenery can be tucked in around the glass chimney. What goes around, comes around!
  • Kelly Miller Santa Ana, CA
    Nice idea... one can use this anywhere .One can surely different versions of it .Great job ..and very inspiring....
  • My Garden Shine North Myrtle Beach, SC
    Clever idea. May we share it with our Facebook fans?
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    My Garden Shine Yes that is fine. Thanks XO
    Thank you so much, Diane..
  • Jeannine Prairieville, LA
    can you post step by step instrutions please.
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    Hi Jeannine: The tutorial is on my blog. Here is the link: http://inmyownstyle.com/2011/06/trash-and-t...