Hometalk.com

For the Garden 2 days ago

DIY Rain Chain

I love rain chains, and although they're traditionally made of copper, I made one from my favorite thing, terra cotta :) and it turned out ever-so-lovely! I found a home for it on the back deck where we can see it from the screen porch and from inside the house. Not only does it add a beautiful element on sunny days but it is a tranquil water feature when it rains. Detailed instructions on the blog~ xo

To see more: http://goo.gl/9WMOE

61 Comments Displaying 16 of 61 comments | See Previous
  • Cindy Columbia, MO
    thanks for sharing , i have some tara cotta pots just sitting around , going to make one of these , just have buy some chain
  • Doris Greencastle, IN
    I will make one of these and if you are using real terra cotta or clay it will allow the water to evaporate naturally and then no wet spots for skeeters.
  • David Green Maitland, FL
    What would happen if you hung the pots upside down? The rain would still go down the chain, possibly along the pots, but no puddles left for mosquitoes or algae. Just wondering how that would work.
  • Marge Senecal Dacula, GA
    Great idea. Thank you, going to start mine now.
  • Great idea and thanks for the instructions on how to build a rain chain. Now just need the pots -- what size did you use? Has it rained yet so you could see it in action?
  • wonder if you could put little plants in those pots as well, especially if they like being wet and can hang over the edge
  • Beth Cole Byrne Pittsford, NY
    Perfect! I love it. I'm a big clay pot person.
  • O'Donna Ramsey Coeburn, VA
    Nice!
  • Mary C Reddick, FL
    i love the rain, and now just one more pleasure to bring in the peace.....ty for sharing.... :)
  • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    how about spray painting the pots w/ copper paint,,, and use tiny ones about about 2 incjes wide..... just a thought..
  • Holly Clark Port Charlotte, FL
    neat! We get a month worth of every day rain. This will be something I plan on doing!
  • Velvet Jones-Krueger Doniphan, MO
    love this
  • Wendy newman United Kingdom
    Never heard of these before but they sound fabulous going to give it a try, thanks for the idea
  • Lisa Damoff Mobile, AL
    What is the purpose???
  • Cathy W Portland, OR
    Lisa and Wendy, Rain runoff from the roof! This is a delightful solution for a downspout! Useful and artisticly appealing! AND Low Cost!