Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How do you get rid of squirrels in your home?

06.23.14
As I chronicled in my recent blog post on squirrel eradication, our family has had the recurring problem of furry vermin taking up residence in our attic and chewing on our wires! I've received some tips from my readers on how to send the "limb rats" packing for good, including using mothballs or oil of peppermint. I've tried the mothball method but would not recommend it (read why here: http://bit.ly/15aWp56). However, I have yet to try the oil of peppermint. I was wondering if anyone else struggles with squirrels wreaking havoc in their homes and what methods have worked to get rid of them. Sound off ...
35 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 35 comments | See Previous
  • Rachelle D
    Rachelle D West Des Moines, IA
    We had a chipmunk infestation and could not figure out how they were getting in. A pest exterminator suggested a Black and Decker electronic rodent repeller unit that plugs into an outlet and sends a pulse through the ground wire in the house. I was
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I didn't realize that the Oil of Peppermint worked on squirrels, but boy does it work for mice. We've not had any inside at all since we started using the cotton drops of oil on the cotton balls around basement. We even put them in our vehicles during
  • Collector04
    Mix peanutbutter and tylenol I had them in my attic and it took care of them. No more. grind up 3 tylenol tablets mix with a tablespoon of peanutbutter put it on a piece of paper put it in the attic. Gone for sure. Try it.
  • Living Rich on Less - Susan
    I'm definitely planning on trying the oil of peppermint thing, Becky. It seems like a great, non-toxic solution.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    That's why I like it Susan. While we were under construction we used a trap and release method, but the winter after we moved in a whole clan had moved in the basement. Or more likely just the two we got out via the trap got back inside and were quite
  • Joanne Pollard Corcoran
    Joanne Pollard Corcoran Mansfield Center, CT
    Mole Max gets rid of all the critters, it is Castor Oil and they don't like it.
  • Patty A
    Patty A New Milford, CT
    had numerous families birthing squirrels up there over several years of me trying everything to get rid of them. The only way is to trap them and move them more than 7 miles away. I paid a professional 650.00 dollars to check the traps every day and
  • Nita Johnson
    Nita Johnson Katy, TX
    I see posts here that the major part of the solution is to find the source of entry first. WRONG! If you do find it first - cover it with saran wrap or something they can get through. You will be able to determine if they are still coming in or out by
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    I can emphasize with you after living on 10 acres in the country and having these little 'darlings' take up in our attic. I am all for natural, human remedies ( my nearest neighbour even suggested that HE come over to 'trap them' so he could eat them!),
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Becky You can also plant Peppermint around any 'vents' you have around the foundation, OR if on a raised foundation, then around the raised part. I did this for over a decade when I was in the
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Sia, that's too much trouble. LOL Besides we promised each other this year there will be NO plantings what so ever. Besides the cotton balls work perfectly. The only mouse that has gotten in
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Becky I completely understand!!! Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I use the cotton balls in ALL of my drawers, pantry, closets and anywhere else I can find to stuff them into. I made a list of the
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Hey no worries here. I'm good at keeping secrets. When hubby first read about this it said to only use 100% Pure Peppermint Oil that you find in a health food store and that's all we've ever used. It makes the house smell great too.
  • Trina Moers
    Trina Moers Katy, TX
    Also if you are using only in the attic or in a storage area where you are sure that family pets won't get a hold of it, the amazing solution to not only squirrels but almost every bug in the Houston, Tx region to my knowledge so far ... Is Bay Leaves.
Living Rich on Less - Susan

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing